What the guy at my dealer said to me. - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular
 
MrMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
V8 or V6 they are still a Mustang. If anyone remembers, The first 1964 1/2 mustangs that started it all were straight six cylinders. A few month later you could get a V8, 260 CI then the 289CI came out. They were all Mustangs and loved by a whole bunch of people.

We are all lucky because the Mustang is still around and better then ever. It really does not matter which engine is in your car if you enjoy the ride. They are both truly great engines and still a lot of fun to own and drive. I personally have a V6 automatic. Would I like to have a Shelby Super Snake, Of course I would but I had to buy what I could afford and I'm very happy with it.

I guess you all know that we are on the V6 part of this forum and of course the GT people are more then welcome here. When they start bad mouthing our V6 Mustangs you need to just laugh at the idiot crap they are putting out because all GT owners are not like that.

I belong to a Mustang club that has 95 members and every type and every year represented. I have never ever heard a member say anything but good about any Mustang in our club or anywhere.

The Mustang was named the "HOTTEST" car at the S.E.M.A. show in Las Vegas this year. Plus I guess you already know that the Mustang has more aftermarket or genuine Ford Racing parts then any other car made. Even the Camaro does not have the amount of stuff to modify as any year Mustang.

The V8 and the V6 are both truly excellent engines and both are a lot of fun to drive. As far as a V6 ever sounding like a V8, Who cares as long as you can get it sounding good to you. Some like loud and obnoxious and some like myself like a nice deeper sound. I have never ever said my car sounded like a GT/V8 but I do say it sounds very, very good and does not PO the neighbors or give me a headache on a long trip. I at one time was parked next to a V6 convertable at the supermarket when a couple of girls came out the same time I did. We admired each others cars but when I started mine to leave the Vert Driver said. "I wish I would have bought a V8 because My V6 just don't make enough nose." I did tell her mine was A 6 And about changing the mufflers. She did say she was gonna do it right away. A stock Mustang V6 makes no noise at all. Weather she did I don't know but at least she did hear my exhaust note.

There is no Muffler that is """BETTER""" then another. It just depends what you want. Or if you want to cut your stock stuff or bolt on. I hear some of you saying Roush sounds better, Or Borla sounds better, Well Borla makes all of the Roush mufflers. He also makes all of the Mustang Cobra Mufflers. There are many different muffles made by Borla depending on what you want or how loud. The same with Ford Racing or Magnaflow plus Flowmasters ETC. Like I said, Mustang has more choices of stuff to modify your car then you can imagine.

So, as you all can see. There is absolutely no reason to argue or bad mouth any other Mustang or their owner. It is nice to voice your opinion and discuss just what you like or do not like. That is why we are on this forum.

Ronnie
+1000000000000. Couldn't of said it any better!
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
But when they get to bad mouth us, no one says anything. When we do it, se get jumped upon for not spending the money. Politics.

So roush is made by borla? I figured ford
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular
 
MrMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
But when they get to bad mouth us, no one says anything. When we do it, se get jumped upon for not spending the money. Politics.

So roush is made by borla? I figured ford
I was guessing Ford also.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #39
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,980
Please drop the back and fourth bickering or the thread will be closed.

Thanks for understanding.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
dang coty, everyone hates you
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular
 
Midnight2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So Cal
Region: California
Posts: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
V8 or V6 they are still a Mustang. If anyone remembers, The first 1964 1/2 mustangs that started it all were straight six cylinders. A few month later you could get a V8, 260 CI then the 289CI came out. They were all Mustangs and loved by a whole bunch of people.

We are all lucky because the Mustang is still around and better then ever. It really does not matter which engine is in your car if you enjoy the ride. They are both truly great engines and still a lot of fun to own and drive. I personally have a V6 automatic. Would I like to have a Shelby Super Snake, Of course I would but I had to buy what I could afford and I'm very happy with it.

I guess you all know that we are on the V6 part of this forum and of course the GT people are more then welcome here. When they start bad mouthing our V6 Mustangs you need to just laugh at the idiot crap they are putting out because all GT owners are not like that.

I belong to a Mustang club that has 95 members and every type and every year represented. I have never ever heard a member say anything but good about any Mustang in our club or anywhere.

The Mustang was named the "HOTTEST" car at the S.E.M.A. show in Las Vegas this year. Plus I guess you already know that the Mustang has more aftermarket or genuine Ford Racing parts then any other car made. Even the Camaro does not have the amount of stuff to modify as any year Mustang.

The V8 and the V6 are both truly excellent engines and both are a lot of fun to drive. As far as a V6 ever sounding like a V8, Who cares as long as you can get it sounding good to you. Some like loud and obnoxious and some like myself like a nice deeper sound. I have never ever said my car sounded like a GT/V8 but I do say it sounds very, very good and does not PO the neighbors or give me a headache on a long trip. I at one time was parked next to a V6 convertable at the supermarket when a couple of girls came out the same time I did. We admired each others cars but when I started mine to leave the Vert Driver said. "I wish I would have bought a V8 because My V6 just don't make enough nose." I did tell her mine was A 6 And about changing the mufflers. She did say she was gonna do it right away. A stock Mustang V6 makes no noise at all. Weather she did I don't know but at least she did hear my exhaust note.

There is no Muffler that is """BETTER""" then another. It just depends what you want. Or if you want to cut your stock stuff or bolt on. I hear some of you saying Roush sounds better, Or Borla sounds better, Well Borla makes all of the Roush mufflers. He also makes all of the Mustang Cobra Mufflers. There are many different muffles made by Borla depending on what you want or how loud. The same with Ford Racing or Magnaflow plus Flowmasters ETC. Like I said, Mustang has more choices of stuff to modify your car then you can imagine.

So, as you all can see. There is absolutely no reason to argue or bad mouth any other Mustang or their owner. It is nice to voice your opinion and discuss just what you like or do not like. That is why we are on this forum.

Ronnie
Well said. It's as silly as arguing which guitarist is the best. While we could mostly agree back in the day that a V8 sounded better than a Straight 6 it's only a matter of opinion wether a V8 sounds better than todays 3.7 V6. Childish to even worry about it. I could buy whatever Mustang I wanted but really have no regrets to say " i could of had a V8 ".
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular
 
Polar Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Misawa
Region: Asia
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post

Well said. It's as silly as arguing which guitarist is the best. While we could mostly agree back in the day that a V8 sounded better than a Straight 6 it's only a matter of opinion wether a V8 sounds better than todays 3.7 V6. Childish to even worry about it. I could buy whatever Mustang I wanted but really have no regrets to say " i could of had a V8 ".
Could of had a V8. Nice!
__________________
Steve
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sanguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 1,623
Honestly, I don't care if the 3.7 sounds like a V8. It is an awesome sounding V6 in its own right. It has a distinct tone that you can change and be happy with. My 3800 sounds like... well, poo. You either leave them stock, put a turbo on, or add headers and make them sound like a raspy turd. The 3.7 has some depth to it, even my Dad was impressed when he rode in it.
__________________
'13 'Stang V6 - MT82 - GHIG Ordered: 5/31 Pickup: 7/3
35% Tint, Homemade Intake (1, 2), GT500 Heat Extractor/Splash Guards, Custom Gas Cap
Barton Shifter Bracket, GHIG Shift Knob


'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
dang coty, everyone hates you
I didn't even bicker toward anyone. Why's everyone getting on my case for my opinion? Ugh. Oh well I'll still say what I want.

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Honestly, I don't care if the 3.7 sounds like a V8. It is an awesome sounding V6 in its own right. It has a distinct tone that you can change and be happy with. My 3800 sounds like... well, poo. You either leave them stock, put a turbo on, or add headers and make them sound like a raspy turd. The 3.7 has some depth to it, even my Dad was impressed when he rode in it.
That's why I love this engine. It's no v8, but it can still turn heads in a good way. My 3.8 had true dual flowmaster w/ X pipe. Sounded ok but like a Honda toward redline. I'm really impressed with the stock sound of this v6 and I can't wait to open it up. Not as loud as the camaro though
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:59 AM   #45
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_tyler_r View Post
THANK YOU for posting this. I absolutely hate nothing more than a cocky V8 owner commenting on V6 threads saying.. "yeah... but it'll never sound like a V8" yeah... but I'll never pay $200 a week in gas. I've been raced by 392 hemi challengers and z06's thinking that my car was a V8
And the results were?

Why all the comparisons to V8? Just enjoy the V6 for what it is: A great engine, great performance, and great mileage. Let the V8 junk rest!
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:24 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular
 
cheelyb09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Whether a v6 or v8 our cars are awesome! Very proud owner!
I agree.

---------- Post added at 06:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashjmg View Post

The mpg was one of the reasons I bought the v6. It's the best bang for ur buck sports car low insurance and good gas mileage while still giving u power. Aaaaaand it looks pretty sweet, the 13s put me over the edge in that category. Love the rear end. after all....I'm an *** man.
That's what sold me on my 13.
cheelyb09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular
 
m_tyler_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arlington
Region: Texas
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko

And the results were?

Why all the comparisons to V8? Just enjoy the V6 for what it is: A great engine, great performance, and great mileage. Let the V8 junk rest!
I didn't race them lol. that's like lining a camaro up to a Honda. Honda wins every time hahaha
__________________
Betty White

2012 V6
m_tyler_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular
 
Flashjmg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego
Region: California
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheelyb09 View Post

I agree.

---------- Post added at 06:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 AM ----------



That's what sold me on my 13.
+1
Flashjmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular
 
JoshLSTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 121
Got my Magnaflows put on this past weekend. I love the deeper sound, and the volume level is perfect for me. Louder than stock, but not obnoxiously loud, and the gurgle sounds much better now. The drivers side went on easily and fits perfectly, but we had to cut an 1" of piping off of my passenger side just to get the muffler in the hangers. It still doesn't fit right, and I'm not happy with the way it looks, but one day we're going to get it back on the lift and see if we can get it to fit any better.
__________________
2013 Sterling Grey V6 Premium - Ordered: 9/18/2012 Built: 10/09/2012 Arrived: 10/25/2012 Picked up: 10/27/2012
6MT | Pony Pkg | Comfort Pkg | Magnaflow Street Catback | DG Custom Auto Painted Louvers | WeatherTech Floor Liners | Jaeger Brothers Front Splash Guards
JoshLSTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular
 
Otis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northern
Region: California
Posts: 115
Nice to hear the sound came out how you wanted. This might help your future attempt to adjust the fit. If you look at the Ford Racing install instructions on their exhaust pages, they recommend unbolting the hangers when removing the OEM muffler, then rebolting them after inserting hangers brackets on new muffler. Here are the instructions:

Muffler Installation Notes:

Install time takes less than an hour with common wrench and ratchet/socket set. The trick to installing any axle-back muffler setup on these cars is to unbolt the hangers from the car and remove the stock mufflers with the hanger brackets still on the muffler. Then you transfer the hanger brackets to the corresponding mounts on the new muffler and install/re-fasten the hangers and muffler back to the frame. Then repeat the process on the muffler on the other side of the car. Finally, you will fasten the mufflers to the respective axle pipes using the supplied clamps. These are OEM mufflers so the fitment and weld quality are accurate and strong.

If you try to remove/replace the mufflers by sliding/prying the mounts out of the hanger brackets, you will bend and damage the mufflers mounts. The hanger brackets are purposely setup in way that the muffler mounts cannot easily work themselves free from the hanger brackets on the car so don't try this method.

Hope that helps your future adjustment of the Magnaflow position. Question for you, did you go with the axleback or catback? If you went axleback on your '13 did you find hanger location to be a major issue (other than needing to cut the hanger bracket)? Just trying to figure out if there really is a change in exhaust hanger location on the '13. Thanks.
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
If you try to dismount on a 11-12, there is one bolt that can't be reached without taking the exhaust off. So using some dawn and your best friend helps. 13 may be different. But I tried taking the hangers an such out with no success
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:15 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular
 
JoshLSTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
Nice to hear the sound came out how you wanted. This might help your future attempt to adjust the fit. If you look at the Ford Racing install instructions on their exhaust pages, they recommend unbolting the hangers when removing the OEM muffler, then rebolting them after inserting hangers brackets on new muffler. Here are the instructions:

Muffler Installation Notes:

Install time takes less than an hour with common wrench and ratchet/socket set. The trick to installing any axle-back muffler setup on these cars is to unbolt the hangers from the car and remove the stock mufflers with the hanger brackets still on the muffler. Then you transfer the hanger brackets to the corresponding mounts on the new muffler and install/re-fasten the hangers and muffler back to the frame. Then repeat the process on the muffler on the other side of the car. Finally, you will fasten the mufflers to the respective axle pipes using the supplied clamps. These are OEM mufflers so the fitment and weld quality are accurate and strong.

If you try to remove/replace the mufflers by sliding/prying the mounts out of the hanger brackets, you will bend and damage the mufflers mounts. The hanger brackets are purposely setup in way that the muffler mounts cannot easily work themselves free from the hanger brackets on the car so don't try this method.

Hope that helps your future adjustment of the Magnaflow position. Question for you, did you go with the axleback or catback? If you went axleback on your '13 did you find hanger location to be a major issue (other than needing to cut the hanger bracket)? Just trying to figure out if there really is a change in exhaust hanger location on the '13. Thanks.
Like Whitelightning said above there is a bolt that you can't reach with the stock mufflers on so you just have to wiggle the mufflers around to get them off. And I have the catback designed for the 13'. Hanger positions were good, but the over axle pipe on the passenger side wouldn't fully go into the muffler so we had to cut around 1" of the pipe off on the muffler end of the over axle pipe. You can kind of see in the pic that I attached that the passenger side exhaust tip barely fits in the hole in the valence. There is only about 1/4" clearance. The exhaust doesn't really get all that hot though so I'm not to worried about burning the plastic, and this is only temporary as I plan to work on the fitment some more in the next few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
If you try to dismount on a 11-12, there is one bolt that can't be reached without taking the exhaust off. So using some dawn and your best friend helps. 13 may be different. But I tried taking the hangers an such out with no success
Yep. We tried removing the brackets as well, and there was no reaching that bolt above the mufflers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0117.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	347.7 KB
ID:	81796  
__________________
2013 Sterling Grey V6 Premium - Ordered: 9/18/2012 Built: 10/09/2012 Arrived: 10/25/2012 Picked up: 10/27/2012
6MT | Pony Pkg | Comfort Pkg | Magnaflow Street Catback | DG Custom Auto Painted Louvers | WeatherTech Floor Liners | Jaeger Brothers Front Splash Guards
JoshLSTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:03 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshLSTV View Post

Like Whitelightning said above there is a bolt that you can't reach with the stock mufflers on so you just have to wiggle the mufflers around to get them off. And I have the catback designed for the 13'. Hanger positions were good, but the over axle pipe on the passenger side wouldn't fully go into the muffler so we had to cut around 1" of the pipe off on the muffler end of the over axle pipe. You can kind of see in the pic that I attached that the passenger side exhaust tip barely fits in the hole in the valence. There is only about 1/4" clearance. The exhaust doesn't really get all that hot though so I'm not to worried about burning the plastic, and this is only temporary as I plan to work on the fitment some more in the next few weeks.

Yep. We tried removing the brackets as well, and there was no reaching that bolt above the mufflers.
I removed the brackets completely on my 12 ( put in different ones because my muffler is half the length of the stock muffler) I had to play twister
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular
 
Otis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northern
Region: California
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshLSTV View Post
Like Whitelightning said above there is a bolt that you can't reach with the stock mufflers on so you just have to wiggle the mufflers around to get them off. And I have the catback designed for the 13'. Hanger positions were good, but the over axle pipe on the passenger side wouldn't fully go into the muffler so we had to cut around 1" of the pipe off on the muffler end of the over axle pipe. You can kind of see in the pic that I attached that the passenger side exhaust tip barely fits in the hole in the valence. There is only about 1/4" clearance. The exhaust doesn't really get all that hot though so I'm not to worried about burning the plastic, and this is only temporary as I plan to work on the fitment some more in the next few weeks.


Yep. We tried removing the brackets as well, and there was no reaching that bolt above the mufflers.
Good luck with the fitment. I'm sure it will turn out great. Surprises me they have inaccurate info on the Ford Racing site for install. So nice to hear first hand experience regarding that inaccessible bolt. I'm getting my GT500's in soon and that bit of advice will come in handy.
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #55
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
moved to general mustang discussion
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



01:56 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.