What the guy at my dealer said to me. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
What the guy at my dealer said to me.

I went to get my oil changed today because my dealer sent me A free oil & Filter change. I have had my car six months and 3,450 miles and I wanted to change it anyway.

The old guy that did my oil change was really good. He even put cardboard down so oil would not get on my car when he did the filter. He was good enough to let me in the shop to look at the bottom of my car, Yes, The V6 does come with an X-Pipe and not an H-Pipe.

It is what he said to me that made my day. He said:
""""When I started this car I thought it was a V8 """"""He said he was really surprised to open the hood and see it was a V6. I guess the Magnaflow streets did what I want them to do. Yep, He made my day.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
I went to get my oil changed today because my dealer sent me A free oil & Filter change. I have had my car six months and 3,450 miles and I wanted to change it anyway.

The old guy that did my oil change was really good. He even put cardboard down so oil would not get on my car when he did the filter. He was good enough to let me in the shop to look at the bottom of my car, Yes, The V6 does come with an X-Pipe and not an H-Pipe.

""""When I started this car I thought it was a V8 """"""He said he was really surprised to open the hood and see it was a V6. I guess the Magnaflow streets did what I want them to do. Yep, He made my day.
Ronnie
+1

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Damn dude,you sound like you just witnessed the birth of your first child.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
Damn dude,you sound like you just witnessed the birth of your first child.
Thats better...a child takes nine months and costs 180k+ I prefer this! Lol

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Haha let him feel good :
Old 12-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Magna flow it is for me! Do u feel a good rumble in your seat or should I opt for the competitions
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

That's awesome. The Magnaflow Streets are on my list if the GT500 deletes don't work out. Do you mind telling me if your gas mileage changed after install of exhaust?

Thanks
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi Otis

I put them on when my car was brand new, just under 300 miles or so if I remember. My Mpg on my trip up north was 29 1/2 for the round trip. Since I have only been driving around Daytona,area I get 26 to 28. That is without trying to get the best MPG.

I put the Progressive Insurance snapshot in last week to see if I can save a little more on my insurance so I now have been driving like a sissy. For some reason they do not know that people in front of you slam on the brakes for no reason coming to an intersection with the stupid idiot red light cameras. I now have two points against me because I did not want to hit an idiot in the *** when they slammed on the brakes with a green light showing. I now try to totally avoid going anywhere near an intersection that has a camera.

So far driving like a sissy and going real slow and not hard breaking I am only showing 22.8 on my MPG gage on the dash. Try to figure that out.

And to DDTCM, Of course I'm happy, This old guy drives Rousch's, GT's, SVT's, and all sorts of Mustangs and he liked my Magnaflows enough to give me a statement of what he thought. They do sound great to me but it is nice hearing it from someone else. The best $512.00 I ever spent on a car.

This guy even wiped the mufflers spiffy clean while my car was up on the rack. They shine like brand new again.

Ronnie
Old 12-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I put them on when my car was brand new, just under 300 miles or so if I remember. My Mpg on my trip up north was 29 1/2 for the round trip. Since I have only been driving around Daytona,area I get 26 to 28. That is without trying to get the best MPG.

I put the Progressive Insurance snapshot in last week to see if I can save a little more on my insurance so I now have been driving like a sissy. For some reason they do not know that people in front of you slam on the brakes for no reason coming to an intersection with the stupid idiot red light cameras. I now have two points against me because I did not want to hit an idiot in the *** when they slammed on the brakes with a green light showing. I now try to totally avoid going anywhere near an intersection that has a camera.

So far driving like a sissy and going real slow and not hard breaking I am only showing 22.8 on my MPG gage on the dash. Try to figure that out.

And to DDTCM, Of course I'm happy, This old guy drives Rousch's, GT's, SVT's, and all sorts of Mustangs and he liked my Magnaflows enough to give me a statement of what he thought. They do sound great to me but it is nice hearing it from someone else. The best $512.00 I ever spent on a car.

This guy even wiped the mufflers spiffy clean while my car was up on the rack. They shine like brand new again.

Ronnie
I tried the snap shot thing. When I really try to drive conservative, I still get on average 4 hard brakes a day because of the crazy miami traffic. I maxed out at 24 hard brakes in one day. Snap shot is not for me. It's sad though, because I am a great driver. I just can't seem to stop slow enough. My wife on the other hand, who has 3 major accidents, all her fault,and 4 speeding tickets, qualified for the full 30 percent. And me, no tickets or accidents, gets no discount. Funny how it works.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948

Ronnie
Some of those new v6s are beast! I had my 99 v6 and I loved it than traded for a 99 cobra and the power was awesome later i test drove I think an 11 or 12' v6 and I'm like woah! Lol sooner or later v6s will come outta factory pushing 400hp one day...
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Ronnie, thanks for the feedback on your mileage. Sounds like you are getting great mileage. I was curious because I've heard a couple people say changing the exhaust causes a drop in gas mileage due to back pressure changes. Thanks again.
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:10 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Reading this post really makes me impatient to hear how my Magnaflow Street Catback will sound on my car. Sadly I have no idea when I'll get to put it on since I've been working so much mandatory overtime at work.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:

Ronnie
Now. Show all those people that bashed me for being wrong. Thank you thank you thank you lol
Old 12-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi JoshLSTV

I think you will be very happy with the streets. That is if you just want a great sound without being so loud you can't hear your radio.

You will love your car as soon as you start it up for the first time. And it will actually sound better after you put a few thousand miles on them.

The Cat-backs may even sound better then just the axlebacks.(I don't know but I would think so)

You gotta work to pay for stuff like this so just wait until Christmas day to install them. I'm pretty sure you may have to cut your pipes just rear side of the cat's but maybe someone that installed these on A 2013 can say. If you do have to cut the pipes it would be wise to pull the whole pipe off and Measure at least five times before cutting. Then re-install the pipes and then put on the mufflers.

Use dish washing soap on the rubber hangers to let the rods slip out and on easy. It goes away and don't mess anything up like oil will. Be sure to use "JACK STANDS" and do not go under a car without them.

Ronnie
Old 12-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #15
Road Trip!

That's weird. I had a v6 with the borla s type and it never came close to what my v8 sounds like. It sounded really good, just not remotely close to the characteristics of a v8.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

Ronnie
Hi Ronnie, the mechanic that did my rust proofing was also quite amazed when he got under the car and said holy crap this is a six and has an H-pipe!? Well I washed the car in my garage today and decided to take a quick look for myself, mind you there's not much room but I looked as best as I could, and you have a very good argument! Not sure if its a true X-pipe but I couldn't totally get under. +1
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi Mikeyt03

I have heard the Borla's on a V6 and you are right. They are very tinny sounding and loud. They sure do not have the deep rumble that the Magnaflow streets put out. Loud and obnoxious is not always a good sounding exhaust.

I guess sound is "In the ear of the beholder"

MrMike,
It is an X pipe. Meaning each side will bend in to mate like Siamese twins and bend back out to mate to the mufflers.

The H pipe is exactly that. The pipes will come off the cats and bend in but not touch and bend out to mate with the mufflers, They will have a pipe connecting the two where they are close together forming a true "H"

I'll try to find pictures when I get a chance.
Ronnie

Found some pictures

"H"-pipe

My V6 2012 MCA Mustang has the X-Pipe like the one on this X-Pipe photo.

"X"-Pipe
Old 12-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
I have heard the Borla's on a V6 and you are right. They are very tinny sounding and loud. They sure do not have the deep rumble that the Magnaflow streets put out. Loud and obnoxious is not always a good sounding exhaust.

I guess sound is "In the ear of the beholder"

MrMike,
It is an X pipe. Meaning each side will bend in to mate like Siamese twins and bend back out to mate to the mufflers.

The H pipe is exactly that. The pipes will come off the cats and bend in but not touch and bend out to mate with the mufflers, They will have a pipe connecting the two where they are close together forming a true "H"

I'll try to find pictures when I get a chance.
Ronnie

Found some pictures

"H"-pipe

My V6 2012 MCA Mustang has the X-Pipe like the one on this X-Pipe photo.

"X"-Pipe
I'm not you've heard the s type. It's not in the ball park as the magnaflow.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post

I'm not you've heard the s type. It's not in the ball park as the magnaflow.
*sure
Old 12-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I wish Ronnie would have popped in on my exhaust thread claiming the x pipe. Guy swore up and down without looking under his car it was an H. But on my lift its an X with some weird cover over it.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
My 2012 mca has an x pipe
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I might as well throw in the "Y" pipe while we are here

This is what they call the "Y" pipe and it is mainly used to put duel exhaust on a car that is only a single exhaust.

"Y" pipe

Small picture but you can see how they are used.

You can also use these to put cutouts on your car from duels. It's not easy but it is do able.

Ronnie
Old 12-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Some more of my two cents worth

From what I have learned over the years hanging around race cars and Hot rod people that both the X-pipe and H-Pipe do the job of smoothing out the air flow and prevent any exhaust air sucking back into the headers. They actually reduce some back pressure. The "X" is more efficient for horsepower then the "H" but the "H" is way less costly to produce so that is why you see the "H" on a lot of GM and none performance cars. The best sound would probably be just to use a straight pipe from the cat's back to the mufflers but you would lose power at certain RPM's. Probably not to noticeable in normal driving at all.

Ronnie
Old 12-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

THANK YOU for posting this. I absolutely hate nothing more than a cocky V8 owner commenting on V6 threads saying.. "yeah... but it'll never sound like a V8" yeah... but I'll never pay $200 a week in gas. I've been raced by 392 hemi challengers and z06's thinking that my car was a V8

2012 V6
m_tyler_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_tyler_r View Post
THANK YOU for posting this. I absolutely hate nothing more than a cocky V8 owner commenting on V6 threads saying.. "yeah... but it'll never sound like a V8" yeah... but I'll never pay $200 a week in gas. I've been raced by 392 hemi challengers and z06's thinking that my car was a V8
Amen just because its a smaller motor doesn't mean it can't make power just ask the ls1 trans am I out ran lol
Old 12-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford

Amen just because its a smaller motor doesn't mean it can't make power just ask the ls1 trans am I out ran lol
lol yes! even my cousin (who is a mechanic) said "why buy exhaust... it's a V6" which I just nodded and said "you wait". he couldn't believe how good it sounded with the borla ATAKS

2012 V6
Old 12-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #27
Road Trip!

Quote:
Did you stop the people you raced afterwards and ask them if they thought your car was a v8? How would you know they thought that.

200 a week? Maybe 200 a month, thats if you dd your car. I pay about 50 more a month in gas then when I had my v6. But that's the price of admission. Apples and oranges I guess. I hat nothing more than an insecure v6 owner getting defensive over anyone who points out that a v6 doesnt sound like a v8. It's your goal to sound like and be like a v8. But you got the v6 because you wanted to save money on gas and insurance right? Sure...
Old 12-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post

Did you stop the people you raced afterwards and ask them if they thought your car was a v8? How would you know they thought that.

200 a week? Maybe 200 a month, thats if you dd your car. I pay about 50 more a month in gas then when I had my v6. But that's the price of admission. Apples and oranges I guess. I hat nothing more than an insecure v6 owner getting defensive over anyone who points out that a v6 doesnt sound like a v8. It's your goal to sound like and be like a v8. But you got the v6 because you wanted to save money on gas and insurance right? Sure...
You're drunk v8 owner. Go home.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Whether a v6 or v8 our cars are awesome! Very proud owner!
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03

actually yeah I didn't race them because I knew I'd get my a$$ handed to me. and they asked why not, it should be a race. and I told them I had a V6 and they just pull away slowly. and no, mister I didn't buy it for insurance. parents paid cash for it.

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

Quote:

oh and as for saving money on gas... just because you want to be a harda$$, I could give two *****s less about money. spend it while you've got it cause you can't take it with you when you go

2012 V6
Old 12-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #31
Road Trip!

Quote:

actually yeah I didn't race them because I knew I'd get my a$$ handed to me. and they asked why not, it should be a race. and I told them I had a V6 and they just pull away slowly. and no, mister I didn't buy it for insurance. parents paid cash for it.

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

oh and as for saving money on gas... just because you want to be a harda$$, I could give two *****s less about money. spend it while you've got it cause you can't take it with you when you go
I see. Well I can understand that. If I had a car handed to me, I wouldn't complain about it being a v6. It's a great car for what it is. Especially if its free.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Asia
I recently purchased a 97 GT with Borla mufflers on it. I would say its mild to moderate in sound. What out there will make heads turn when the gas is punched while not pissing off the neighbors in the morning when I start the engine.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I see. Well I can understand that. If I had a car handed to me, I wouldn't complain about it being a v6. It's a great car for what it is. Especially if its free.
haha I feel you there. I love my car for everything it is and isn't. no hard feelings man. after all, the V8 is faster. I didn't buy a mustang for mpg haha

2012 V6
Old 12-16-2012, 02:49 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

haha I feel you there. I love my car for everything it is and isn't. no hard feelings man. after all, the V8 is faster. I didn't buy a mustang for mpg haha
The mpg was one of the reasons I bought the v6. It's the best bang for ur buck sports car low insurance and good gas mileage while still giving u power. Aaaaaand it looks pretty sweet, the 13s put me over the edge in that category. Love the rear end. after all....I'm an *** man.
Flashjmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #35
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Alright guy's, We don'y need to argue or fight.

V8 or V6 they are still a Mustang. If anyone remembers, The first 1964 1/2 mustangs that started it all were straight six cylinders. A few month later you could get a V8, 260 CI then the 289CI came out. They were all Mustangs and loved by a whole bunch of people.

We are all lucky because the Mustang is still around and better then ever. It really does not matter which engine is in your car if you enjoy the ride. They are both truly great engines and still a lot of fun to own and drive. I personally have a V6 automatic. Would I like to have a Shelby Super Snake, Of course I would but I had to buy what I could afford and I'm very happy with it.

I guess you all know that we are on the V6 part of this forum and of course the GT people are more then welcome here. When they start bad mouthing our V6 Mustangs you need to just laugh at the idiot crap they are putting out because all GT owners are not like that.

I belong to a Mustang club that has 95 members and every type and every year represented. I have never ever heard a member say anything but good about any Mustang in our club or anywhere.

The Mustang was named the "HOTTEST" car at the S.E.M.A. show in Las Vegas this year. Plus I guess you already know that the Mustang has more aftermarket or genuine Ford Racing parts then any other car made. Even the Camaro does not have the amount of stuff to modify as any year Mustang.

The V8 and the V6 are both truly excellent engines and both are a lot of fun to drive. As far as a V6 ever sounding like a V8, Who cares as long as you can get it sounding good to you. Some like loud and obnoxious and some like myself like a nice deeper sound. I have never ever said my car sounded like a GT/V8 but I do say it sounds very, very good and does not PO the neighbors or give me a headache on a long trip. I at one time was parked next to a V6 convertable at the supermarket when a couple of girls came out the same time I did. We admired each others cars but when I started mine to leave the Vert Driver said. "I wish I would have bought a V8 because My V6 just don't make enough nose." I did tell her mine was A 6 And about changing the mufflers. She did say she was gonna do it right away. A stock Mustang V6 makes no noise at all. Weather she did I don't know but at least she did hear my exhaust note.

There is no Muffler that is """BETTER""" then another. It just depends what you want. Or if you want to cut your stock stuff or bolt on. I hear some of you saying Roush sounds better, Or Borla sounds better, Well Borla makes all of the Roush mufflers. He also makes all of the Mustang Cobra Mufflers. There are many different muffles made by Borla depending on what you want or how loud. The same with Ford Racing or Magnaflow plus Flowmasters ETC. Like I said, Mustang has more choices of stuff to modify your car then you can imagine.

So, as you all can see. There is absolutely no reason to argue or bad mouth any other Mustang or their owner. It is nice to voice your opinion and discuss just what you like or do not like. That is why we are on this forum.

Ronnie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion