Weight in the back - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #1

Region: Missouri
Weight in the back

Everyone says to put weight in the back so I can get better traction and get around town better now that its snowed, but how much should I put back there? I don't want to mess up my shocks or anything like that. Right now I just have my 12" sub and the spare tire that came with my car. Also, where should I put them?
ahhhitsvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhhitsvito View Post
Everyone says to put weight in the back so I can get better traction and get around town better now that its snowed, but how much should I put back there? I don't want to mess up my shocks or anything like that. Right now I just have my 12" sub and the spare tire that came with my car. Also, where should I put them?
The added weight makes little to no difference!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
stick with just a sub.... no point unless you're going to put 500+ pounds in the back but that's way to much...
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
People suggest a few bags of sand, 50-100 lbs. i have never heard 500, that switches from a little more traction to one eighth or more of the cars whole weight lol

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I can tell you that weight can make a difference. My dad got a bunch of tile for our laundry room and left it in the trunk (07 Hyundai Sonata) for a while, you could see the rear wheels almost touching the fender liners because it was sunken in so much. Lost a good amount of traction and go because of the weight (its FWD so a heavier back loses trac up front). As we took the tile out we could see the rear raise up every pack we took out lol.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:59 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
U put weight in the back for a better launch and better weight distribution u can put ur battery in the back with some subs and it should help a little
Old 12-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
The added weight makes little to no difference!..
come on man that's horrible lol

OP i add between 250-300 lbs in sand during the snowy days...i always notice a huge difference in keeping the back end planted...why i use sand...it's cheap and with the seperate 50 lb bags you can shift the weight if needed from one side to another (ie your pass wheel which is what's getting your power)

keep safe and enjoy the snow

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix

come on man that's horrible lol

OP i add between 250-300 lbs in sand during the snowy days...i always notice a huge difference in keeping the back end planted...why i use sand...it's cheap and with the seperate 50 lb bags you can shift the weight if needed from one side to another (ie your pass wheel which is what's getting your power)

keep safe and enjoy the snow
It also depends what type of tires your using!.. Plus I've put in as much as 100+ in my car and still didn't feel much difference!.. If you want better traction in the snow then get Winter tires!..
Old 12-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Whoa.. Easy trigger....

Facts are facts.. Weight over the back wheels increases traction.. As mentioned, battery relocation.. Like drag racing, tire selection helps also. SlowSix mentioned using 50lb bags, I'd assume more then two.. Adding 100lbs is like adding a small child, not much more weight then the car may see on a regular basis.

OP, as stated adding weight will help, as will snow tires.. Neither of which make it safe to drive as normal in bad weather. Please, still use caution as RWD cars of any sort can be particularly tricky on snow/ice.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t
Whoa.. Easy trigger....

Facts are facts.. Weight over the back wheels increases traction.. As mentioned, battery relocation.. Like drag racing, tire selection helps also. SlowSix mentioned using 50lb bags, I'd assume more then two.. Adding 100lbs is like adding a small child, not much more weight then the car may see on a regular basis.

OP, as stated adding weight will help, as will snow tires.. Neither of which make it safe to drive as normal in bad weather. Please, still use caution as RWD cars of any sort can be particularly tricky on snow/ice.
Hey I'm just saying what I've seen and experienced!.. I've got a buddy that has a '04 Terminator Vert as his Winter Beater!.. All he does is just switch out to snow tires in the winter and he has always done just fine!.. Plus I've never said it don't make a difference!.. I said "little to none"!.. More of it depends on the type of tires your using and the condition they are in!.. A couple years ago I had All Weather tires that were nearly bald, and about 300 lbs in the back!.. I was still sliding all over the place!.. Last year with Toyo Proxies on and only 50lbs in the back and had no problems!..
Old 12-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #11
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
Hey I'm just saying what I've seen and experienced!.. I've got a buddy that has a '04 Terminator Vert as his Winter Beater!.. All he does is just switch out to snow tires in the winter and he has always done just fine!.. Plus I've never said it don't make a difference!.. I said "little to none"!.. More of it depends on the type of tires your using and the condition they are in!.. A couple years ago I had All Weather tires that were nearly bald, and about 300 lbs in the back!.. I was still sliding all over the place!.. Last year with Toyo Proxies on and only 50lbs in the back and had no problems!..
Is there a reason what you are using a exclamation at the end of every sentence? That could be misinterpreted as yelling and some my find it offensive.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Please cease with the bickering and stay on topic. This is a great thread but If the arguments continue we will be forced to shut it down meaning it will be closed.

Thanks for understanding.
ME Staff
Old 12-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Not meaning bickering here, but that post about tires makes sense.

If you have better tires, weight will go farther. I would think 500 lbs on bald or regular tires would not be better than 50-100 with just snow tires.

Kind of like with a bow and arrow situation, if you have a lot of strength, 200 lbs on a cross bow but you use a wooden stick with no tip, it will not hit like 100lbs on a regular bow with a sharp tip. I hope that idea makes sense and doesn't confuse more.

Best tip I read was using a lite foot... I treat driving right now like I want to lose a race to a Prius... . Now, as in with snow and ice, today was the first day that was bad.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 12-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #14
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
True,it's all about your driving style,IMO.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

*news caster voice*

Please folks, if you can just stay at home.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #16
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
*news caster voice*

Please folks, if you can just stay at home.
That sounds like our news, if there is even a flake of snow, they got all the news truck in action.

As others have suggested keeping some weight back there will help, and if you happen to live in an area with a lot snow, and ice winter tires should help some, in addition to just being careful and watching the right foot.

I've survived 2 snow/ice storms in the Mustang, and while it wasn't fun, it was do-able.

Oh and if you do have some sand, and get trapped it can give you some traction to get out. I learned that in my Mom's Aviator, RWD suv in snow/ice is even worse than the Mustang.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

In my old SUV as a youth, I found driving style was the only thing that mattered. I could abuse it and be stupid, or drive sensibly. Everyone in Cleveland says it is impossible to drive the stang, without snow tires, but in the weather up here now, I am not seeing a problem. I am afraid I listened to people who drive like their foot is an on/off switch, and I am the only sensible person who bought a not sensible car lol.

Everyone sensible I know is intelligent enough to either buy a winter beater, or their daily driver is not a 300 Hp FR lol. Unlike me.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #18
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
In my old SUV as a youth, I found driving style was the only thing that mattered. I could abuse it and be stupid, or drive sensibly. Everyone in Cleveland says it is impossible to drive the stang, without snow tires, but in the weather up here now, I am not seeing a problem. I am afraid I listened to people who drive like their foot is an on/off switch, and I am the only sensible person who bought a not sensible car lol.

Everyone sensible I know is intelligent enough to either buy a winter beater, or their daily driver is not a 300 Hp FR lol. Unlike me.
Haha thats great! That's what would scare me enough to get the Daily Beater is the other drivers haha

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion