How reliable are mustangs? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2009, 04:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

How reliable are mustangs?

I'm shopping around for my first car and saw that there is a 1998 Ford Mustang for sale with 139,000 miles on it for $2,590. Are mustangs with high mileage reliable? Will I start fining problems as soon as I buy this car. Would this be a smart buy?

ps. It has a V-6
mather is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2009, 04:48 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Nismo,
checkout kbb.com for value on it. Also all mustangs are reliable as long as you do the maintenance on it at the correct mileages. example oil changes brakes coolant etc. I have had gosh i cant count them all now that I try to but a lot of mustangs. All very reliable. And for warranty wise they do not have many recalls or engine issues. call your local ford service dept and have them run an OASIS on the Vin#. it will tell you all work and recalls on it.
lucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:08 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 1998 Mustang with over 222,000 miles. Yes, it has had it's fair share of problems but nothing you wouldn't find in any other car. If it has been taken care of and serviced on a regular basis, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. I would definitely take it for a long test drive and take it to a reputable mechanic for a check before you purchase it.
bishamon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2009, 05:24 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

That's waaaaaay too much money for an 11 year old Mustang with that many miles. If it was a GT convertible maybe, but a base coupe? No way.

Go to Edmunds.com to price it out, but that's too much money, I don't know the options but I see anywhere from $1900 (private sale) to $2700 (dealer). There's a big hit for the high mileage.

It could be reliable, it depends on how well it's been cared for, and what has already been done to it. I would have a mechanic look it over if you can get the price down

If this is your first car, I'm guessing you are a teen, check what it will cost to insure a sporty car like this compared to a sedan, you will probably find a big difference there.

Good luck
giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:35 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Because mustangs are rear wheel drive, they tend to be less expensive to repair. And if you're handy, you can do more of the maintenance yourself. Take a look at the wear items like brakes before you buy it. Look under the car for oil leaks . Look under the hood and notice if the engine area has been kept clean. People who do regular service on their cars tend to keep them much cleaner than someone who's neglectful. In the end, it's all about how well this car was maintained . Good Luck
llyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:44 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Never had a mustang but any car can be reliable as long as it's properly serviced and taken care of. Personally, I'd save my cash for something better though. A V6 Mustang, it isn't a true Mustang to me. Plus, if you're going to pay insurance for a sports car, it should at least have a V8 going for it. Price seems a bit high too. Paid $2200 for my 98' Crown Vic' and I get about 27 MPG with a little V8 performance and no extra insurance cost.
arlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:50 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ive heard the v-6 dont last nearly as long as the v-8, just what ive heard. Mine 96 gt is at 160k and motor runs fine no smoke or anything but i have had to do the trans but that was expected. I would keep looking tho, im sure something will turn up with less miles.
cipriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:11 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

any used car with over 100k miles on it could have a problem. a new car with 10 miles can have a problem. if you have the service history that may help, or get the vin and do a carfax on it. check it out carefully first. mustangs are good cars
eimhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:56 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I would stay clear of high mileage V6 Mustangs.. They tend to have problems. They begin to be very noisy and rough running. 3.0 engines in particular
fearghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:01 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

FOUND
ON
ROAD
DEAD

FIX
OR
REPAIR
DAILY
jerad9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion