Is a 2010 mustang a good first car for a 16 year old? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Is a 2010 mustang a good first car for a 16 year old?

i have a lower middleclass family but i've been looking at this car with my dad and i might get it after i take my dmv test, but my dad has also been suggesting that i get our used 1998 chevy corsica which is ugly as hell. i have a job at gamestop and i could probbably help with the payments.

btw please don't bash me because when u were my age u didnt get a car that u wanted . and i don't want to keep my hopes up anyways because i might not even get the mustang at all
donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

You should also consider that such a car may be expensive to insure. Check your insurance rates before buying one, for example here - carinsurance.yoll.net
corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
on
Registered Member
Regular

As long as you think you can afford the payments without sacrificing a lot of your other priorities then go for it. Don't just think about the payment of the car, think of other expenses such as oil change, insurance, gas, and etc. If I were you, I'd rather get a used car (2005-2007) with low mileage. Get a mustang if you want. Used car is always the best for teenagers. New car will cost you alot to insure.
on is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

A 16-year-old does not need a new car as their first car, especially a 2010 Mustang. Do you have any idea how expensive the insurance would be on the Mustang? More than you can afford and more than your parents will want to pay.

I didn't get my dream car as my first car. I still haven't bought my dream car and I'm more than 3X old as you.

Sure, the Corsica is not an attractive car, but it is practical for a driver your age.
hamdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

you should drive the corsica until you've had your first fender bender, your first ticket and changed a flat tire.

the age of the vehicle is not that important as far as insurance is concerned, until your 25 insurance is going to be expensive and it would be more expensive if your drive a mustang with a V8 engine.

go here for details: http://moneycentral.msn.com/insure/autorisk.aspx

Mustang = "D" -- charged somewhat higher-than-standard premium
howahkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Im 17 and would love to have that mustang but its just not practical. Its RWD which i cant use where I live and gas will be horrible. I mean go for it if you truely love it. I'd just like to suggest maybe a used Subaru Impreza WRX, its sporty, wont have too high of insurance, and is probably better on gas. Just do your research, maybe you can find a better car for as much as the mustang costs.
albion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

to the "infiniti g owner girlie" your a spoiled ******* brat you didn't pay **** for that car, anyways your 16 and you want a mustang, if your dad is giving you his old car than take it its better than nothing ,i had to work my *** of since i was 15 to own a car SO don't be a spoil brat and look for a nice car because not everyone has certain privileges suck it up or buy your own car
mervyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

As long as you can pay for it, it shouldn't be a problem. Most people who read your little blurb are jealous of you because they have no money, so don't listen to them. But like I said it should be fine if your parents agree to letting you help out buying the car. Make sure you know that you have enough though. Good luck man.
harailt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

No way. It would be really cool but insurance would be soooo expensive, especially after you get a couple of speeding tickets. By the way, your family drives all Chevrolets, will they let you get a Ford?? jk lol.
westbroc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

ur lucky u got a corsica, drive that buddy. u will have alot more money for other things. I love cars dude, i know its intriquing to take the fast wheels, but dude think a fast car isnt necassary as ur first car.
jar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:06 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

No, it would be dangerous and reckless, Besides the insurance to cover you as a new diver in a sports car. Forgetaboutit
hurste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:31 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

You'll be lucky if you are given the Corsica
cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:26 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

NO.
tiberio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:11 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

hey, i am 17, and trust me, you dont want it. I work as a mechanic at a local shop, and i have to tell you its one of the worst things you can do is get a brand new car. Its a good car, dont get me wrong, but if you are going to buy a car, get an older car that if it gets messed up or wrecked then its not a big deal to get rid of it. We get lots of people in the shop who got their kids new cars, and they wreck them, or they get keyed, or something. I am still in high school, so i know what happens. Kids who have nice new cars get keyed. It happens. If you want a cool, fast car get an older muscle car and fix it up, its a good thing to know/get into. Or get an older truck. Just trust me, dont get the new car, its cool and nice to have, but trust me, the older car is the better way to go.
nahcomence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:55 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Your 16 now, you have your own decisions. And of course you may hear this from grandparents, parents, etc.. but even in a new car, old car, anything..please don't race in it. If you are responsible and can handle this horsepower go right for it. No one can tell you "oh that's too much for you" if you can afford the payments, insurance, costs, gas, etc.. go for it. I got my g coupe last year when I was 16...first car.. costed me 45,000 fully loaded. I took plenty of studying to get my license so I knew how to handle powerful cars. But please be safe on the road. Don't take a car to impress your racing needs. If it needs to be, take it to a racetrack.

But other than thhat, go for it!!!
chankoowashtay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:31 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

you may not want to here this but its the truth. you shouldn't get new car. you're going to be a new driver learning the rules of the road, and your not going to know what to do in every situation. your car is going to get dents, dings, scratched and maybe even keyed like on answerer above mentioned.

I'm not saying get the corsica either, but new car should not be your first car. your first car should be something you like, but if something happens your wont be to heart broken about it. something will happen....trust me thats life.

also, tune out the kid with the $45k car his parents bought him, he has no concept or reality, his parents shield him from it and it tells. I can't wait until he enters the real world and the truth of disappointment and failure is present front and center.

you said yourself said you come from a lower middle class family, a new car payment will be an undo burden on your family. not only will it affect your life, but also your brothers and sisters even your mom and dad.

whats more important...a new car or food on the table? I'm not saying thats what would happen, just trying to get you think about how things are really tied together.

Good luck
pryderi is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
2010 mustang