I want to get an old car, is that a good idea? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

I want to get an old car, is that a good idea?

i want to get a 1966 mustang but i heard that some old cars are hard to keep up with bcuz the parts are hard to find if it needs to be fixed. Is this true or can i fix it with parts from a newer mustang or other cars? what if it is already in good condition? i really want to get this car so anything u know would help a lot
riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Popular classic cars such as the Mustang have an abundant parts market. You won't have any trouble finding what you need for that car.

Here are just two of the many parts sources: http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...earchType=Make

http://mustangsplus.com/
imported_darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Those cars are fixed easily and cheaply, for the most part. The trouble is, that's exactly what you will be doing. It's 41 years old. Newer parts won't work, but availability isn't really the issue here. It's reliability. Your call, but not a car for a daily driver.
flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

the problem is the older car parts are sometimes really hard to find and have to be special ordered and cost quit a bit and no you can use newer mustang parts on the older ones they change parts every few years. if it is in really good condition and is a good bargin then yes get it but most parts will need to be special ordered
shan57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

My first instinct was to tell you to buy a late model car since you don't appear to know very much about cars. Then I realized that 25 years ago (when I was 15) I could've been asking the same question. I bought (ironically enough) a 1966 Ford F100 p/u. It was a one-family owned, all original, rust free LWB that I paid the handsome some of $500 for. It had a 240 c.i. inline six and "three on the tree". When I bent some pushrods (yes I over-revved it) it was either learn to work on it or walk.

Well, 25 years of working on and building cars for a hobby and I am forever thankful for that old Ford. I'm a GM guy these days but that old truck is what got me started with my love of modifying vehicles.

The Mustang, like that old truck, is brutally simple and parts are readily available. On top of that, it's appreciating in value, so your efforts won't be for nothing when it comes time to sell.

So I say, buy the 'Stang. Learn to work on it yourself (it WILL break down but that's part of it) and I hope you develop the lifelong love of cars that I have. You'll meet so many great people in the car hobby. I know I have!
kele74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

you can find a 66 mustang restored to new.....for about 50 or 60 thousand dollars. You can restore one with parts you can find in savage yards and specialty parts outlets....But this wouldn't be a car that I would take out for daily use. The new mustangs really look allot like the old ones these days so...Have you looked at the new models? Restoring a car takes lots of effort and ...lots of patience, time,money and a real zeal for making the car restored to a standard that you are looking to restore it too.
fnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

even here in australia we have an abundance of mustang parts???If it has rust in it though i wouldnt touch
sydeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion