I was looking to get into racing? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-18-2009, 11:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
I was looking to get into racing?

However, I'm in college so I don't have a lot of money. I have a V6 Mustang (manual), which seems fast for everyday use, but its used and is only worth about $5000 for trading in. My engine seems too small for drag racing, my car feels to "heavy" for road racing, and drifting seems like it would be harder (or practically impossible) with a rear wheel drive car. Any suggestions? Also, I considered turbos and superchargers to make my car faster, but Mustang parts manufacturers seem to practically hate the V6s. Anybody know of any parts I could get, if there was some way to swap engines, or, most probably, just get a V8? The car cost me about $8000 when I got it, and it was in great condition. I would just hate to buy a beat up V8 if I'm going to make a great salary or a decent sign-on bonus when I finally get out of college or join the military.

coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:36 AM   #2
Registered Member

#1 rule for a racer... Learn to make due with what you have to work with...
#2 Learn to fab stuff up and make it work be it for your car or not..
#3 To know that anything can be done, and most times it don't take money... Just clear thinking and the will to do #1 and #2

Think about the long gone days of yesteryear when auto racing 1st got started.. Flat head fords on the old dry lake beds. The guys then didnt have parts they could buy, or money to spend.. They made thier own parts, made what parts that was out there work, etc.

My point is that you have a good base to work with... Learn to fab parts..

You could build a twin turbo system for under $1,000 for your car if you wanted too..

Use your head, not your wallet.. If it's turbos you want.. $50-100 each junkyard used T3's, for duals.. T4 for single..

Buy a $400 mig welder..

An old set of headers.. look for used ones.. Cut them up, move tubes around, re weld them, weld on turbo flanges.

Some metal line and fitting from the hardware store

You get the idea..

If you rather throw a v8 in there, I'm sure the v8 made for those years wouldnt be hard to swap in..

I can't tell you about ford cars.. I'm a chevy guy, but on the 1982-92 camaro like I built, GM had drilled holes in the K member for all 3 engines.. (2.5L 4 cyl, 2.8L 6 cyl, and the SBC v8's)

Swapping the engines was just a matter of yanking the old one out, bolting in the right mounts, bending a couple things out of the way by hand, and sticking it down in there.

Next lets talk about type of racing.. Ever heard of bracket racing? It's drag racing where the winner comes down to the driver that can drive the best and knows his car the best.

In bracket racing.. You have to know what your car runs, be able to run that # back to back to back... Be able to cut a good light (reaction time), and know how the weather cond. will change your car's ET.

In bracket racing an 18 second honda can beat a 7 second outlaw street drag car if the driver of the honda is better.

gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:24 AM   #3
Registered Member

If u r real good with mechanics maybe then u can do all this stuff the guy said but if u r not i suggest u keep yur car buy another 1 that u can modify but dnt use it as a daily driver. Get a used 1 for under 6 grand. Get a V8 and then add all that stuff. A v6 is crap. I f u went out there with that thing u will get smoked trust me know by experience.
corcoran is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion