Why are t-top cars extremely rare? Does anyone still make them? If not, why did they stop? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2009, 01:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Why are t-top cars extremely rare? Does anyone still make them? If not, why did they stop?

I know virtually every major american manufacture made cars with t-tops at one point. Why are the so rare now days? I own a 1986 Mustang GT hatch with T-tops, but i've seen very few T-top cars other than my own and a couple of Trans Ams/ Camaros and a few old 300zx's. Also, if you happen to know where I can find another T-top Fox body 'stang, I'd appreciate it, As i am in need of some parts.
ramzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 02:12 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Why are t-top cars extremely rare? Does anyone still make them? If not, why did they stop?

As far as I know, no major auto maker makes t-tops today. However, some custom shops might but it will cost dearly. T-tops have fallen out of favor for several reasons. First of all, the people who would buy something like that today just buy regular convertibles. Some t-tops also had problems with leaking and safety. About the closest thing you could find to a modern t-top is a Jeep Wrangler.

You could probably find restoration parts with any major parts depot (especially those specializing in muscle cars).
imported_conan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:56 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

In addition to the problems mentioned, t-tops are also pretty inconvenient to store when you remove them. It's a pretty bad solution compared to something like a power retractable, which is all the rage now.

They were never very popular outside the boy-racer market segment, which includes all the cars you mention.

Just FYI, the Corvette still has a targa top. I wonder if it's the only targa still being made.
finnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 03:04 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

for all mustang parts go to www.cjponyparts.com
tung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:16 AM   #5
bao
Registered Member
Regular

T-Tops are notoriously leaky. But, I still love the way they look.
bao is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion