Questions about 1972 Ford Mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Questions about 1972 Ford Mustang?

Ok, so i have a 1972 Mustang, and was wondering the difference between a 302 Windsor and a 351 Windsor is. I'm sure it has a 351 in it at the moment. But i'm doing a lot of remodeling and such since the current motor has a few valve leaks.

My second question is what are some on line sites that have Mustang parts, such as quarter panels, and such. Thanks for the help. [:
jerad9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 08:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Count the bolts on the intake manifold. A 351W will have eight on each side for that year. 302W and smaller will have six bolts on each side. '72 Stangs could have come with a 351C also for that year. Camshafts and cylinder heads will interchange between the 302W and 351W engines. Intake manifolds will not due to a higher deck height, therefore making the 351 intake wider than the 302's. Just type in mustang parts in your browser and you will get hundreds of hits.
christianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Larger displacement and taller deck height are the main differences,also has a different firing order and larger crank journals.Probably the better engine for that car since it is such a heavy car.A good place to start is national parts depot and mustangs unlimited.Good luck.
hastiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

A 351 is a bigger engine then the 302, but I'm not sure what the difference in the horsepower is. The 351 has more cubic inches of motor.

You can pretty much google any online auto part store, but ebay motors would be a great place to buy parts for older cars.

Hope that helps!
beverley86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

the valley deck is higher by about a inch and the heads are a little further apart..
skah is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion