Bought a 72 mustang - question about maintenance? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Bought a 72 mustang - question about maintenance?

I just got myself a 72 mustang with a 351 cleveland 4v, however I'm not really a "mechanic" and I'm wondering is maintenance expensive for this car? Are parts expensive as well? Sorry it's really a broad question, but although I love classic muscle cars, I'm not really an "engine" guy...
kele74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Parts are cheap enough. This car lacks the high tech computers & modules etc. Full tune up parts are probably $50-$60. Oil filter is $4.00. I had a 71 & it ran for ever without much work.
redvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Use high quality oil filters, such as Motorcraft, Wix or Purolator. These are cheap, and often better then more expensive brands such as K&N, Mobile 1, Bosch and Fram. Fram oil filters are actually among the worst. Use a good oil (Mobile 1, Shell Rotella, Royal Purple, etc..), and change the oil often. Mustang parts are really not that expensive, as they were/are very popular cars. Over all maintenance should not cost anymore then a newer car.
donnachadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I owned a 1971 Mustang with a 302 and I have 3 Ford Galaxies, 60 62 & 64 they are very easy to work on just make sure you do the regular oil change and tune ups. The main thing with older cars is understanding points and condenser and knowing how to set them, most cars with points need tuning every 5,000 to 10,000 miles and depending on how often you drive them. I suggest you start and drive the car as much as possible to keep it tuned and in good shape.

One thing I have done with all my Galaxies is to switch to electronic ignition and this can be done very easily and cheaply by using the Petronix Ignitor which replaces the stock points and condenser. It uses the stock distributor and wires so it takes a keen eye to know it is there unless you take off the cap, it even uses the stock rotor. I played with points for 20 years before I replaced it. Just about everyone in my Galaxie club uses them now. They were actually for VW and Mustangs. They are available at most parts store for around $50.00 and well worth it. I have not played or adjusted points in over 10 years and I love it plus the car runs great, better horsepower and more reliable and all my cars are 390 FE motors. I added a link.
beagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Wow, I've bought most my restoration stuff off ebay over the years for my '71. The maintenance depends on your driving. Mine was a daily driver and I was fiddlin' with it every couple of months cleaning this, checking that -- typical stuff.

Keep the fluids fresh and topped off, keep it lubed. You'll find things are not expensive at all.

You'll want to check this website out:
http://links.vintage-mustang.com/
and checkout your local Mustang Club for help with the Technical stuff.
hulbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Next to last of the big Mustangs, Mustang II came out in 74..

the hardest thing is setting the new distributor points, $10, but it can be easily learned, set new points at 0.015 inch and the timing will take care of itself, should be done every year or 15k miles.. the biggie is it probably takes premium fuel and lots of it..
varney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I thought '72's were Mustang II's. 351's are easy to work on but you will have to find an "old school" mechanic or upgrade parts. Do you know what Points are?
camdin is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion