Thinking about restoring a 1965 Mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Thinking about restoring a 1965 Mustang?

I am considering buying a 65 mustang v6. It runs and drives but the owner told me it needs a little work to get it road ready. I am 16 years old, and I am going to have all summer and then through the next year if needed. It obviously isn't a full restore because it runs and has power steering, but I have the money for it no matter what it costs me. My main question is, how hard would it be to do some of the work and restore it a little bit for someone who has never done it before? What are the common problems with a car like this, other than obvious rust and things like that?
BTW I work at an auto dealership and garage so I would have access to any tools I need and can order parts for much cheaper. Thanks.
celyddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 10:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

In the first place there was no such thing as a V6 in '65. If the car has a V6 it's something a previous owner did. The '65s had either an I-6 or various versions of the venerable 289 V8. The '65 is an easy car to work on and can be driven while a lot of the work is being done. For restoration parts try http://www.texasmustang.com or http://www.vamustang.com. Both carry a lot of reproduction parts and parts made from original Ford molds which are sanctioned by Ford Motor Co. The reproducton parts are cheaper but, especially for body parts, the Ford parts fit much better.

Edited: The first purchase you should make from one of those Mustang parts houses is a copy of the Ford Shop Manual. It will provide you all the specs and detailed drawings and instructions for disassembly, repair and reassembly of any part of the car from the engine to wiring to windows, door latches, etc.
stanwic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

restoring a car not only coast money but a lot of patience and hard work but if done right they can be a great pride and accomplishment a good manual will be a good investment and place to start,good luck
llyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 11:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

hmmm what type of engine does it have mabey all you need is a new cillinder.
celyddon is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
1965 mustang