1965 Ford Mustang Donor Car? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

1965 Ford Mustang Donor Car?

What car can i get spare parts from for my mustang...I look on the net at SacramentoMustang.Com and the parts were kind of High.. The parts that i need are Disc brakes rotors,spindels,lines and brake booster front and back . I also need AC/Heater parts.
berke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 10:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

If you need disc brake parts, forget a donor car. Most Mustangs, except for a few, like the GT had drum brakes. And they were manual disc brakes, so they didn't have boosters. Sounds like you are trying to do a conversion, try the above mentioned Granda swap, much cheaper, and the brakes are better than the old dual piston style calipers that the '65-'66 Mustang had. The heater parts are so cheap from Mustang vendors it's better to save your bucks and just buy new. For the A/C, most Mustangs of that era didn't have A/C, so you likely won't find one on a donor car.
imported_driscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I would definately suggest using eBay since there are a lot of parts on there. You can definately find your parts online. They are out there you just have to search.
iddig17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 11:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

The 1965 Mustang had drum brakes. If you are trying to restore your car, one often overlooked source of parts is the 1964 -1966 Ford Falcons! They had the same drive train, suspension, and even the same dash!

Brake lines are easy to replace, using lines that are available from any parts store, and bending, cutting and flaring to size! If memory serves me correctly, and you want to upgrade to disk brakes, you can use parts from the late 70's Granada!
jerad9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:01 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Grab a 70's Maverick or Comet, or better yet, a 1975-1980 Granada and get the spindles, power steering slave cylinder, it's control valve, rotors, calipers, etc.. It's a bolt on.
chaakmongwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:00 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

you can find lots of parts on ebay.com.... it's like a super salvage yard on the internet...
ramzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:05 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I also use Sacramento Mustang, and yes the parts are fairly high priced. Unfortunately there aren't THAT many vendors of older Mustang parts.

I would suggest other junkyard Mustangs that are similar in year, which shouldn't be too hard to find, being that Mustangs are fairly ubiquitous.

Just remember that I'm basically talking out of my a** right now, this is just what I would try.
drogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion