Cars the come with rebuilt titles? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Cars the come with rebuilt titles?

I'm looking into buying a rebuilt 2001 mustang. I talked to the owner and he said that there was a problem with the original engine that totaled the car. Well in about 6 years his kid would need a car so he decide instead of buying him a new car he would put a new engine in that one and save money. So he put the car on blocks in the back yard. He then bought another 2001 mustang to replace the one with the blow engine. His son ended up buying his own car and they forgot about the mustang. Well 2 years ago, he got hit on the rear side of his car and it was declared totaled. While he was filling out the paperwork his wife noticed that the front end of the car was completely untouched. He then got the bright Idea to put the engine from the new car into the old one. One of his mechanic buddies took the job and transplanted the engine. It hasn't had a problem since. Hes selling it now because he got a promotion and wants a new car. However since its rebuilt none of the places around here want to take it. Hes asking $2600 for it. I've already had one of my friends who is a certified Ford mechanic look it over and he says from what he sees its sound. The seller says it has a Rebuilt Title, does that mean the car already has a title and I don't need to mess with it or do I have to get it inspected by someone special to be able to drive it legally?
napayshni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know what a "rebuilt title" means but all you have to do is to get a "merchantable" title for the car when you pay the seller. The seller is obligated to furnish the buyer with a valid title at the time of purchase. Don't fork over a red cent before you have a valid title for the car in your hands. If the car has a "rebuilt" title, then Check to see what a "rebuilt" title is all about with your states DMV before proceeding. Good Luck
woolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Cars get rebuilt titles for a reason. Accidented cars are very close to worthless because of the irrepairable damage that occurs to them. Think of a soda can being crushed from one side, someone cutting out the damaged area and welding a new chunk of metal back there. Would you buy that can or pay a bit more for a perfect one?
macdhubh is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion