Whats a ballpark estimate for a straight 6 to 289 swap on a 1966 mustang?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-01-2010, 04:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Whats a ballpark estimate for a straight 6 to 289 swap on a 1966 mustang??

I have a 66 mustang and I found a running galaxie with a 289 v8 for sale locally for just under a grand. What would be a ballpark estimate on having the suspension replaced and engine and tranny from the galaxie put in the mustang if I have bought most or all the parts prior to taking my car to the shop?? I'm investing about 2 or 3 grand in parts, and I want to keep it from denting my pocket much more than that.
cipriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 04:49 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Just buy a crate motor and install it yourself. That way you know it will run when you need it to. You can buy a crate motor for a couple grand.
botulf87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:39 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

do a google search for "swapping a 289 into a mustang " and see what comes up.

There are a lot of ways that this can turn out to be a "money pit " not the least of which is the problem of motor mounts and tranny mounts, plus the drive shaft length and shifter linkages and so on........

Think about how much bigger the galaxie was in size compared to the little mustang's engine compartment. I know that the stang came with a 289, but do you know that there are about 4 different 289 block configurations ? And tranny choices ? You don't want to have to hack up the stang floor pan to get the trany and shifter to fit do you ?

Get some more accurate info before you do something that you will later regret............

Try the website for Hot Rod magazine to see if they ever did a swap like this in the past, so you can read about it.

Jim B. Toronto.
auley is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
1966 mustang