1994 MUSTANG GT 5.0 NEED MORE HORSEPOWER!!? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-01-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

1994 MUSTANG GT 5.0 NEED MORE HORSEPOWER!!?

I HAVE A MUSTANG AND I WANT TO ADD A LIL BIT MORE HORSEPOWER I WANT IT TO BE RUNNING LIKE A LIGHTNING OR MAYBE FASTER ..WAT PARTS WULD BE GOOD TO PUT IN IT? ITS MY DAILY DRIVER AS WELL SO IM NOT PLANNING TO PUT A SUPERCHARGER..OR WAT LIGHTNING PARTS WOULD BE COMPATIBLE WITH MY ENGINE?!
hristun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
wu
Registered Member
Regular

when you say lightning i assume you mean the gen 1 lightning with the 5.8? None of the gen 2...supercharged 5.4 parts will do you any good.

you might be able to use the throttle body from the 5.8 lightning...but idk

checkout www.lethalperformance.com

and

www.lightningforceperformance.com

lightningforce won't have anything for your 5.0 but they have lightning parts and are very knowledgeable and helpful just give them a call. Don't get your hopes up too much though because the do specialize in lightning stuff so they might not be able to answer all of your questions

just double checked lethalperformance and they don't have section for your 94...sorry

but +1 to above

superchargers are nice...I have one...on my truck
my buddy has a paxton on his 94 and can run mid 12s...actually i can run mid 12s in his car...he can only get 13.1

just because you have the power doesn't mean that you will see the times you a looking for...but like I told him practice makes perfect.
wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The Lightning is a performance variant of the Ford F-150 pickup truck. None of a Lightning's engine components will be compatible with your Mustang because they have a 5.4 Modular engine that's a completely different design than the more basic 5.0 H.O.

The first upgrade I would do to your Mustang is change the factory rear gears to lower performance gears. If you drive the car on the street regularly, I'd go with 3.55's or maybe 3.73's. Those will make your car significantly quicker without modifying the engine.

I'd actually recommend a supercharger kit for your car. Stock 5.0 H.O. motors have 9-1 compression, which is perfect for a mild street supercharger application. There's nothing wrong with having a supercharger in a street car. Most of the new systems offered by Vortec and other companies are very reliable and need hardly any maintenance at all. With a supercharger kit, you can probably make about 350 horsepower or more out of your stock 5.0 V-8.

The beauty of superchargers is that they increase torque significantly along with the horsepower. Other upgrades may just increase torque a little bit.

Regardless to whether or not you install a supercharger, I'd also add these upgrades:
-BBK shorty headers + Flowmaster mufflers
-Cold air intake

You may also want to get a Cobra intake manifold if you go with a supercharger. They flow better than the stock intake manifold.

Hope that helps!
jeremias is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

If you are going to put a supercharger on your car you will need stronger connecting rods piston rings and a new crank depending on how many miles your car has on it. A vortech V-2 supercharger would should put your car up around 340-380 hp depending on how much boost you run through it. You may also want to consider installing a shift kit for your trans.
camdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Buy a trick flow package- Twisted wedge cylinder heads, Stage-2 trick flow cam- roller rockers, Trick flow track heat intake, A set of 3.73 gears for the rear end, and an aftermarket clutch to handle the power increase. Your car stock only makes about 195-200 horsepower max but with all of the above you should be around 320 horsepower and 315 ft lbs. of torque at the wheels all motor. I know because I have all of this on my 95 GT plus nitrous. I work on mustangs every weekend. My car has 411 hp and 480 ft lbs. of torque at the wheels
imported_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Start with: Underdrive pulleys, rear end gears(i like 3.55's, 3.73s kinda kill highway mileage), and a full exhaust. On my 94 gt, i have summit headers, bbk prochamber x-pipe, and vortek cherry bombs. Its a killer exhaust, but i dont like the prochamber, id get the regular xpipe. I eliminated the cats, and the smog pump, good for a little extra power, for free. I also did away with the EGR, but noticed no real gain there. If your comfortable doing any tuning, i would advance the timing to about 11.5 degrees before top dead center, in other words, 1.5 degrees ahead of stock. My favorite way to time is with a vaccume gauge, and set it to max vaccume at idle with the spout disconnected. Next if you want more power, i would do a 65mm throttle body with a 70mm MAF and 24lb injectors through a good intake, such as the GT-40. Why stop there? Heads are the biggest way to make power from a 5.0 due to the stock heads being a little asthsmatic on the exhaust side. there are many good brands out there. SN95 5.0 mustangs dont like cams, they make for a poor idle and low vacume down low, if you plan a cam, you will need to have your computer tuned for it, but after all those modifications, it would be stupid not to get in re-flashed. hope this helps.
Felten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Forced air intake and a racing chip also maybe set the idle a little higher. It worked for me but mine is a straight six 4.2 carburated- $300
Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Get some MSD ignition stuff. Three things make more power... More Fuel, More air, and faster and more efficient spark..
imported_kit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

AFR 165 heads should add about 50 HP
trystan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

take the 5.0 out and put a boss 429 in it
camdin is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Tags
1994 mustang