What parts would i need to build a 1967 ford mustang fastback from scratch? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-01-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

What parts would i need to build a 1967 ford mustang fastback from scratch?

i have an idea of where to get the body but its like $16,000 so maybe if someone could find a cheaper one that would be awesome that all =)
osweald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

mustangs unlimited has every part available and at a fairly reasonable price, go to there website at mustangsunlimted.com
pryderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The 67/68 Mustangs are considered the best years for building as they had a better frame/suspension than the previous years. (built on a Ford Falcon frame/suspension) In 69 Ford shrunk the engine compartment so that only small blocks (up to the 351) would fit. The 67/68 could hold a 427, 428, 429 block.

The fastback is the most sought after model as it is stronger and more aerodynamic than the coupe and the convert. If you can find one, it will be someone's project that they lost interest in. Any you find in a junk yard will be body damaged with probably frame damage and more than likely lots of rust out.

If you want to really make a sharp 67, learn how to make a fiberglass mold, find someone with a good body who'd like to go into business with you and copy the body. You can then sell body kits to other restorers, or build a tube frame and sell entire car kits. (There is someone doing that with early Vette reproduction kits and another doing 55 T-Birds.)

The 67/68 were close in size to the LTD II's from the mid 80s. (lots of them in junk yards for cheaper parts.)The running gear/steering, etc. from an LTD II is cheaper to buy and actually handles better than the original Mustangs. You could use the LTD II frame, but a tube frame would be stronger and lighter.

Hmm, I may have just decided on a new business for myself!!
bizahalani is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Look on

-Ebay

-Craigslist

-Some Junk Yards if lucky & expect body damage

Good luck i work at a body shop & were working on the same car, same year. It took allot of work to find parts, but its almost done. Good luck!
allister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

16,000 for a body alone sounds like a lot for a mustang. They're abundant. I would check Craigslists and local junk yards
Nickson is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion