Rebuilding an engine? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Rebuilding an engine?

If i were to take an old late 60s mustang engine, probably a 289, and were to rebuild it, could i do this without replacing many parts? Like, just take it apart, clean everything, and maybe replace a head gasket or something small. I don't want to spend much money on it, maybe $500 at the very most, and the engine i would work on is already running decently, but i would just like to make it perform a little better. How much of a performance jump would this be. Also, by taking the engine apart, are there some pieces that need to be replaced because of that, like the pistons or anything.

Thanks
fahyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Rebuilding an engine?

Look what you want to do makes no sence what so ever.. Why pull it apart just to look at it and clean the insides on an engine.. That's the oil and oil filters job

If you think it's gunked up run some engine flush through it. It will clean it better than you can by taking it apart.

No you will not gain any performance from what you want to do.

If you want to rebuild it, then rebuild it. Take it apart

Have block and heads vatted/hot tank cleaned, crank machined, block bored and honed, etc at machine shop. Then buy a rebuild kit with aftermarket pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets, etc.

For a cheap budget rebuild.. Look to spend $250-375 at machine shop

Then $600 on rebuilt kit, paint, sealer, etc

If you want a performance rebuild add about another grand to that price
merlow26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Rebuilding an engine?

Well if you were to rebuild it with 500 bucks is a challenge. But while you are doing the head gasket you could take out the pistons, hone the cylinders, and put new rings on the pistons for like 30 bucks or less. New rings would help a lot. Other than that you could have the heads rebuilt too. If you are saying it runs decent though, I would assume that the lower end is fine along with the cam. Oh, almost forgot. You can put a new timing chain on it for under 100 bucks usually. For 500 bucks this would be the best route to take in my honest opinion though. While you are doing all this, may as well replace all gaskets to. That should finish off the budget.
derik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Rebuilding an engine?

the questions you are asking show that you have never done this before and have no clue what you are doing there are A LOT of parts that will have to be changed some sent to the machine shop . a 289 is a sought after block and the car is a classic if its running leave it alone when it breaks let a pro take care of the motor rebuilding
cleavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Rebuilding an engine?

well if your just cleaning it it would b cheap but that's not a rebuild rebuilds are bearings cylinders everything which is very expensive and depending on how the engine is it might not be worth the money if the engines running and doesn't need that much attention id clean everything up and replace all gaskets and freeze plugs
garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Rebuilding an engine?

If you have to ask, don't even try it. Rebuilding an old Mustang engine will require the replacement of many parts. $500 is just the tip of the ice burg for rebuilding one of these old engines.
donnachadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Rebuilding an engine?

Sorry, there is no such thing as a cheap engine rebuild. The money you are wanting to spend will not help you much. I would not recommend that you attempt to overhaul an engine without the knowledge to do so, from your description it doesn't seem that you have ever been into an engine so I would say find someone who has a reputable shop or a technician/friend/relative who would has the knowledge and would be willing to help/teach you if you want to learn how to do this. Find all of the information you can about this engine and the procedure to remove it from the vehicle safely, engines can be awkward and difficult sometimes to remove and without the proper equipment you could be injured or killed in the process if the car or engine should fall off of the jack stands or hoist in the process. In the process of overhauling an engine all parts should be hot tank cleaned and the block and heads checked for cracks along with deck and head flatness, resurfacing may be required. The heads should be disassembled and the valves and seats inspected and ground, they may have to be replaced completely because this engine was built when leaded gasoline was used, with the end or lead as an octane booster and valve/seat lubricant older non-hardened valves and seats will wear rapidly and defeat the purpose of the valve job. The cylinder bores will need to measured with a dial bore gauge for taper and out of round, if not in specification the block will require boring and new pistons. The crankshaft journals will need to be measured and the crank may have to be turned to replaced, new bearings either way. You will need an new cam and lifters, timing chain, new oil pump and an overhaul gasket set, If you do the job correctly I would say easily figure on $1,000 - $2,000 including all of the machine shop work. If you aren't going to do it right don't do it at all it would just be a waste of money.
rexley82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion