Can i restore a mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-02-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Can i restore a mustang?

im 17 and was offered a 65 fastback to restore for something to do. i have a friend and his dad owns many scarp yards i can harvest parts from. my question is do you think i can do it because i dont have any expierience with cars at all, how much will it cost, and some tips or books to buy that says step by step information. its been in its grave for 20 years in the guys yard and has some serious rust in small pieces around the car. its a beuty and i hope i can do this.
primo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 01:23 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Can i restore a mustang?

You can do it, everybody has to start somewhere and what better place to start than on a piece of American history. Take my advice and join a Mustang forum right away, there are a bunch of them out there and on each one there are plenty of knowledgeable people to help you out along the way. Go to a book store and get some books, there should be plenty of them on how to restore a Mustang, I've got a few covering everything from engines to interior kits.

Mustang fastbacks are going a lot of money nowadays and you best take your shot at this one while you still can, although it has rust it is still worth a good amount of money. Take the fastback, sit down, and try to formulate a "game plan" on how you're going to tackle the restoration. It will be a lot of work, but once it's done you have an amazing feeling of accomplishment and pride in the work you've just done. There is a lot more info I could post, but I want to keep it relatively short, so if you have any more questions please email me, good luck and have fun.
wakiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:04 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Can i restore a mustang?

Mechanically, the original 19641/2-1966 Mustang is pretty straightforward. any mechanical parts are shared with the more plebian Falcon.

In addition, there are many parts eing reproduced by companies such as Year One (www.yearone.com) , and magazines like Hemmings Classic Cars and Mustangs and Fast Fords are chock full of vendors and expertise.

A Chilton's manual should be hepful in trying to resolve repair issues.

Good luck with your project. The fastback, especially one with a V8, is among the most highly coveted Mustangs out there. Take the timeto do itright and you'll have a nifty ponycar you can be proud of.
ann15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 02:35 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Can i restore a mustang?

There are 'mustang owners' clubs all over the country. Mostly for 'vintage' mustangs. A 1965 is definitely vintage. There's probably a club on the internet. And there's published monthly magazines completely devoted to mustangs. check it out. A restored '65 mustang is worth a lot of money. I bet any mustang enthusiast would probably give you a good price for the car 'as is'. (for his own restoration or for parts).
kele74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:08 AM   #5
Tye
Registered Member
Regular

Can i restore a mustang?

If you are not mechanically inclined, you are just going to get frustrated and waste some money doing it. If you can have a reliable person help you along the way then go for it. If not, how much would you ask for the car..i will take it off your hands.
Tye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Can i restore a mustang?

go to the library and check out some books on bodywork/engine rebuilding,then call some parts houses and inquire about the cost of parts.
this will give you some idea of what is involved and what it will cost you before you sink anything into it.
evian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:52 AM   #7
Dru
Registered Member
Regular

Can i restore a mustang?

a 65 fastback? ooh baby. tell you what, you fix that up and even i'll date you
Dru is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion