Shifter hard to put into gear in my mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-02-2010, 02:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Shifter hard to put into gear in my mustang?

this is a 1996 mustang gt with 116000 miles on it but had the tranny rebuilt 40,000 miles ago with king cobra parts. the shifter sometimes goes into gear very easily and quickly but other times its very hard to put into first and reverse. any ideas? anything would be great!
imported_Diandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 02:27 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

wilson, these cars don't have hydraulic clutches. 1979 all the way through 2004 are cabled. No fluid leaks, no reservoir.

To the original poster, if you had king cobra parts installed then you should have also installed an adjustable cable and quadrant kit. If you still have the stock cable and quadrant (they are self-adjusting) then pull UPWARD on the clutch pedal until you hear a click or a pop (or in some cases a bang), The cable has adjusted. Down side to the stock cable/quadrant is that it isn't adjustable for custom settings. It adjusts just to allow proper shifting.

HMUSN, the SN-95s and the new edge Mustangs also have self-adjusting clutch quadrants so he doesn't have to have a foxbody. That's why I mentioned earlier 1979-2004. Foxbodies lasted to 1993.
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:26 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Joe B.(low) is a ******. The other answer is partially right,you should be able to just the bring shifter back to the neutral gate ,if the gears are aligned,and let the clutch out then push it back in and try to shift it into gear again. This will cause the main shaft to spin and should allow for it to go into gear. You can also use a little pressure on the shifter toward the gear that you want to put it in and let off the pedal slightly to allow the shifter to slip into gear. This should have a master and slave cylinder for the clutch(hyd),I would check the fluid level and try bleeding it if need be,check for areas on the line and cylinders that has collected what appears to be wet dust,that will indicate leakage. If you clutch is not fully disengaging it can make 1st and rev. shifts difficult.
Ekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 04:10 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Sometimes my manual transmission does the same exact thing. I don't think it is a serious problem though. If the actual gears in your transmission were not replaced than this could be the likely culprit. After thousands and thousands of miles the teeth can become worn down and even chipped completely off. When you go to shift, your transmission is probably attempting to engage on one of these problematic spots. This is my best guess, as the thing always eventually engages.
camden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:25 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

my 03 v6 does that too...the gears just arent lining up right. to get into reverse, i shift to 5th before going to reverse (just dont take your foot off the clutch while in 5th, youll stall out). and when it does it in first, i just start the car in 2nd gear. if my v6 can start in 2nd then your gt could. i dont know what causes them to fall out of place like that though. sometimes reverse still doesnt line up, so i go through all the gears (still dont take the foot off the clutch while doing that)
pryderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:56 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

helmet, I would agree,but the guy does not have a fox. put the car into another gear before putting it into 1st or reverse and it will fix your problem. the scyrincos need to line up properly is all. It is a common problem for the t-45 transmission.
Wren is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion