Crooked mechanic? Leaking manual transmission question.? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-02-2010, 03:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Crooked mechanic? Leaking manual transmission question.?

I changed the fluid in my 2000 v6 mustang and a couple of days later I had a leak that I couldn't track down, it seemed to be leaking from the rear seal but I couldn't be sure. It only leaked about a half pint over 40 miles. I topped off the fluid and drove it to Aamco. They told me it needed a rear seal and a boot on the top of the transmission. Later they called saying it didn't need the boot but it needed a new gear shift selector (the part the stick attaches to) and the part was $200. They showed me the part and it did have fresh oil on the top of it. I called the dealer and they told me there's no seal in the unit because oil shouldn't get that high in the transmission.

Now I'm not sure what's right. Is it possible that it needed both and I was leaking from two new spots that started on the same day--sounds very unlikely, seals usually only blow in one spot on a unit even if there's a problem, right?

Is it possible I overfilled it and the only problem was the fluid leaking out of the top of the gear selector and it would have been fine had I just let the excess get out? It took within a pint of what I expected, the directions just said fill until it comes out of the fill hole.

Also worth noting, the rear seal is a pretty big job on that car, I've got to drop the drive axle and exhaust. That's more than I can bite off with just ramps. The gear selector is an extremely easy job, it's 10 bolts and a little RTV. I could've done it in 20 minutes in my parking lot with the A/C running.

Thanks for your input.
garrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 04:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Crooked probably IS the right word..check out Aamco on ripoffreports.com, it's not pretty. You may just have the trans. overfilled a bit...
cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Out of all the T5 transmission i've done, i've never seen the shift ball cover leak. If the seal is bad, the worst that could happen is a little fluid seeps out, nothing major.

Now if you by chance you overfilled the transmission, and when i mean overfill, i mean by a lot. It could very well leak, but most time, you just remove fill plug and let it drain to normal level and the leak will go away.

As i've had experience with Aamco and a lot of they're customers, i'll have to give you thebenefitt of the doubt and say that the person working on your car at Aamco has no clue about what they are doing!

Word of advice, find another place to take your transmission problems too. Sorry to hear you about you getting screwed!
lucan is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion