I hit a curb pretty hard, need help from experts. -- Alignment Problem? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-02-2010, 04:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

I hit a curb pretty hard, need help from experts. -- Alignment Problem?

After I hit the curb, the car is pulling to the right pretty hard.
I went to five different shops for some estimates and they were telling me different things.
Firestone told me that I need to replace two struts 'caz the right passenger side wheel shake/vibrate when jacked the car up. $130 Parts + $180 labor
Pepboys told me that I need to replace a steering knuckle. $120 Parts + $160 labor.
Sears Auto told me I need to replace an inner tie rod just on the passenger side. $40 parts + $120 labor.
An auto shop told me to have the front cross bar take off and put it on again, pull sub frame forward. $120 labor.
Ford Dealer had done a "smart" job by telling me to replace inner and outer tie rod, hub assembly, struts, and lower control arm; pull sub frame forward, etc. (Basically they wanted me to replace everything on the passenger side) $600 parts + $1200 labor.
Who should I listen to now? I am totally confused. I know the Ford dealer would probably repair it, but they wanted to charge me $1800+, there's no way in the world that I am gonna spend that much.
If I turn my steering wheel all the way to the left side, I can hear the pop up noisy. Is it the inner rod or the strut that holds the wheel tight?
Any suggestions?
I have a 03 Mustang. Btw, I did have an alignment performed after hitting the curb, but the car is still pulling to the right though not as much as it was b4 the alignment. Thus, I am almost pretty sure something was bent.
pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 04:55 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

You may just be knocked out of alignment. I never go to dealers just because they are expensive, crooked, and want to replace everything at the highest possible price.

I assume you are paying out of pocket rather than using the insurance company's money. You could have bent a tie rod, bent a wheel, etc. The hard part is finding an honest mechanic. Ask friends, check with body shops that see collisions often, see who they use for this type work.
imported_driscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:59 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

look at this one visit this website http://automobilesltd.blogspot.com
Ekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 05:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

If you had an allignment done since, and the proiblem continues, your prblem is deeper than simply a bent tie rod, though you shoudl replace the tie rod anyways, as its standard procedure for hitting a curb and knocking yourself out of allignment, it the weakest link in the whole steering setup.

The problme unfortunately lays deeper in the assembly and is most likely a missalignment between the entire assembly and the how the chasis is aligned wiht the other aseembly on the other side of the car.

In addition, you may have damaged your wheel bearing, you may not, but replacing it is a good idea, since the damge may cause it to fail in the near future if it isnt cirtically damaged already.

The ford dealership is on the right rack, but if you insist on doing it on a budget, try to get away with replacing the strut, the tie rod and pulling the sub frame back into alignment, in addition you whill need another wheel alignment. It cost money, im sry to be the bearer of bad news. Your wheel bearing may be damaged and fail in the near future, but you could gamble and see if it continues to function. in addition, your control arm may be bent, but its difficult ot tell, if replacing the strut, and moving the sub fram doesnt fix it, you may have a bent control arm.

The proper way is to replace everything that may be damaged, best fo luck.
Berwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:36 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Find yourself a repair shop with ASE certified mechanics to check it out. Avoid if possible those big name folks you just mentioned , they are too expensive for the work they do. I would think it would be a bent tie rod causing the pulling problem and the shake / vibration could be something as simple as the balanceing weight being knocked off the wheel when you curbed it , or possibly the wheel itself could have been bent a little.. In any event , for your safety and peace of mind , have it checked and repaired.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion