How much would it cost to make a Mustang GT comparable to a Saleen? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-02-2010, 05:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

How much would it cost to make a Mustang GT comparable to a Saleen?

Just curious if it is even possible, and how much it would be.
I definitely don't have enough to get a Saleen, and I prefer the original body + a couple body mods over the saleen body kit.
And I would prefer it to be a sleeper, rather than shouting saleen on the car.
If it can be done, how much would it be, and can you tell me what parts a Saleen has that the GT doesn't, and what parts I would have to buy, whether they are the same or different from the Saleen parts as long as they do the same thing.
Thanks in advance!
derry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 05:43 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

How much would it cost to make a Mustang GT comparable to a Saleen?

The Saleen Mustang has mods throughout the car...and is more of a roadracer than a drag car....

The essentials ... Saleen uses a bored out 4.6 (to 302)... important point here is that the engine is balanced and blueprinted, uses a saleen specified cam profile, and their own design supercharger.

You..would build your engine the same way. match their cam profiles, and use a similar blower setup..the key here is how you do the work...
and matching their cam profile

Saleen uses a roadracing six speed trans..this is out of your price range you will use the ford 5 speed, and a HD clutch..

Saleen uses headers, bigger pipes, low restriction mufflers and cats, so will you....

Saleen uses 3.73 gears, so will you...

saleen uses shorter stiffer coil springs, heavier sway bars, and a wats-link on the rear end....you would need to fabricate the watts link....

saleen uses 20 inch pirelli P-zero tires....you will need a good high performance tire, probably 17-18 to maintain the sleeper image

the rest of the car is stock Mustang

depending on how much work you want to do, and how much skill you have, this could be done for 10-15,000.00 in parts and machine work, and a Mustang
I would get a used 2005 gt( the cheapest year), you are going to replace the mechanicals...

I would paint it Lipstick Red, but thats me,, for your sleeper car go with Silver, or Gray....
abiram is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion