I need help on the publics perception can you please help me? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

I need help on the publics perception can you please help me?

I am wondering what the average public thinks of parts mark up. Lets say I have a 95 Mustang in my shop, needs an egr valve. I can get it aftermarket costing me 45 dollars (and not from the professionals at auto zone). What should the customer be charged. Keep in mind they can get the part from autozone for 42 dollars. It calls for 1.5 hours to replace, what is a fair labor charge.
gillecriosd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

well when you buy parts they give you list and cost price it took you time to sit on the phone and order the part it takes time to wait and your in business to make money fair is fair ask list. If it calls for 1.5 and it takes you 5 hours can you charge the customer 5 hours? NO so if it takes you 45 minutes and you charge the 1.5 are you a criminal NO Chilton makes these manuals so people don't get robbed. Again Business= Money.... If you want to give someone a discount because they have been loyal to you great go for it. And as far as buying the part well can they install it. My girlfriend can buy food but can she cook is the question. Remember the formula BUSINESS= MAKING MONEY MAka the world go round...hope I helped
skeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

tough call on the part mark up. you need to charge some for your overhead and time tracking the part down but you dont want to gouge the customers either i know alot of shops charge way to much markup. do you have a small shop? 10-15% sounds about fair but i also used to work in the field and understand a little more than the average schmoe about what it takes to keep a shop goin. and if the book says 1.5 i say charge 1.5. i know the book time on alot of things is a little loose but keep in mind its tight on other things and thats your paycheck.
adron is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion