More mustang horespower? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-03-2010, 04:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

More mustang horespower?

I need ford fans to help me out

My friend hace a 2002 mustang conv. Automatic and wants more horespower (now hace 260hp). Can you please tell me what parts he can get to get it at around 350-400hp.

And superchargers are a bit to much, how much for a single turbo, and is that a good idea?

Thanks
bishamon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 05:25 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

More mustang horespower?

A single turbo will cost more then a supercharger. You wont be able to get to 350-400hp without getting a supercharger or turbo charger or doing some serious re-building of the engine. You can probally make it to 325hp with just the basic mods. You could do exhaust, underdrive pulleys, cold air intake, and a sct tuner with a custom tune. You could get all of that done for around 1,000-1,500 and it will get you to around 325hp. There is not much more you can do after that, there are gears but you really dont want to change those for a car that is used to drive on a everyday basis. Take a look at Eaton superchargers, they make a roots type supercharger for a descent price, there is also vortech which makes a centrifugal type supercharger. They are a little more expensive then Eaton but you will get more out of there superchargers.
erland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:05 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

More mustang horespower?

to get 50% more horsepower you are going to have to spend quite a bit of money.....if a supercharger is too much than i think you can forget about 400hp....turbochargers run around the same amount as well.....you can get more horsepower by getting some add-ons(mufflers, air filter, etc), it just wont be 400
allister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 06:16 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

More mustang horespower?

Your going to spend the same amount for a turbo once you figure in the alterations to the exhaust system, unless your going to weld it all in yourself. That being said a supercharger is still you best bang for the buck on the 4.6. The kits are fantastic in that if you use the canned tunes they are very tame and an non-intercooled centrifical blower would be the cheapest kit you could find. A single turbo would basically be the same thing, perhaps a bit better, but since your running the stock block and internals you won't get the benefits from being able to run it at high rpms to take advantage of the boost they make up high. So be it supercharged or turboed, just do it, cuz you'll spend at least that much and you won't get the hp if you try to squeeze it on motor alone.
hurste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:49 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

More mustang horespower?

how much is your friend willing to spend?

besides the usual aftermarket intakes another good upgrade for the mustang would be getting a new intake manifold or even a new cylinder head if he can afford it. The mustang has a very restrictive intake manifold and loses a lot of power in the upper RPM.

the only other thing i could think of is picking up some 3.73s
they don't give horsepower but it does help out with acceleration (at the cost of high speed ).

but even after getting all that, you're better off just saving for the super charger.
since the mustang isn't a particularly high revving car, a twin screw super charger would be your best bet for overall power. But if you want strictly high end power, the centrifugal would be your best bet.
txanton is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion