Trading in my Car (tuburon) for something "faster." Mustang or a step above? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Trading in my Car (tuburon) for something "faster." Mustang or a step above?

Hello,

Recently, for a few months now anyway I have been looking at some cars from ebay, autotrader, etc. I currently have a 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT (silver) which i have no complaints other than its top speed/power. Going by Kelly Blue Book, my trade in value's around 8.2k ($8200) and I am strongly thinking of trading for something with better performance.

Some Info on my car so its clear what would be better:

2,656 cc 2.7 liters V 6 front engine with 86.7 mm bore, 75 mm stroke, 10 compression ratio, double overhead cam and four valves per cylinder
-
Unleaded fuel 87
-
Fuel economy EPA highway (mpg): 26 and EPA city (mpg): 20
-
Multi-point injection fuel system
-
14.5 gallon main unleaded fuel tank
-
Power: 128 kW , 172 HP SAE @ 6,000 rpm; 181 ft lb , 245 Nm @ 4,000 rpm

Its really not impressive, it goes 0-60 in around 8.7 seconds and a quarter mile in about 18-19 seconds.

I really hate thinking of trading this car because it was my first, and as I stated it never gave me any mechanical problems. I just desire something with a little more kick (yea, i'm 19 plz no "you'll end up killing yourself's" That would be fine.).

I have noticed a 98-04 mustang GT would fit my interests, stock running about 150 mph.

Ok, question time (numbered for simplisity's sake):
Please keep in mind, keep the cars price around my trade in value (no more than 2-2.5k off). And nothing with a requirement of parts aka Tubo, Super Charger, Headers, Piston Rings.

1. What car (if not mustang) would have a higher speed and torque? (140ish top speed and a small amount of time to get there)

2. Whats the odds of getting a used mustang GT 01-04 for about $10,000 (good/excelent condition)?

3. For mustang owners, whats the 0-60 time, and quarter mile time/speed (estamates accepted).

4. For a hyundai tiburon 04GT, & 25k miles, does $8200 sound fare? If you think it should be lower don't answer this specific question^^.

5. Before I looked around mustangs, i was looking at a few 1996's, including the mitsubish 3000gt, dodge stealth, nissan 300zx, mazda rx-7, and a few others. These would be a little to old and too much trouble to deal with correct? Plus there actual japanese sport cars (starting price was about 50k ea).

6. Am I stupid for thinking of changeing cars?

7. Can you provide top speeds, 1/4 mile times, etc for any car (you) suggest?

Chances of pulling a Mustang Cobra are literally 0, so just a GT (with some extreme luck maybe a 04 mach 1.)

Also, as for location, I live in WV, or the Moutain State, and the moutains make it difficult for my tiny torque'd car to move. Its FWD does help out on icy roads though....But I don't travel too often.
pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Well you could always supercharge your car and beat pretty much all the cars ur thinking about. If not then the gt 0-60 is about 5.5 second by pro and more like 6 with average driver. You should be able to pick up a 99-04 gt for under 8g. If not look at camaro z28 or transam ws6. Dang if u had just a bit more I would say look into getting a srt-4 those are crazy fast. They are like 12g good luck. And the 99-04 gt had 260hp. The 98 and below had like 210hp and the 05+ have 300hp.
howahkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Mustang offers the most power for your buck at this time. There will always be faster cars than yours, no matter what you are driving.

I think you are nuts. Are you in a hurry or something. If you want to race, get a race car and take it to a track and race it. The car you are looking for here is not going to do anything be get you a lot of speeding tickets IF you are lucky enough to be able to afford the gas for it.

You might also want to have a little chat with your insurance company. They might take a very dim view of the car you think you want. No point having it if you can't afford the insurance. I would be a little reluctant on getting a used hot rod. Likely it has been dogged out. In addition to a fast car, you could be buying lots of repair bills on a car that has been abused.
warrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Only answers I have for you are #1; BMW. If you are thinking of getting to 140 mph and a 6 second-ish 0-60. And my other answer #6; you want what you want because you are man. And one more #4; fair? do they make tiburons anymore. What is a tiburon? Just tripping? Check your Kelley Blue Book online and don't be hesitant to bring that into negotiations.
roch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

ford v6s and v8s have low horsepower. the 4.6L GT V8 engine makes low 300 horse..........the new GM V6 makes just over 300.....

If you're goin to go the rear wheel drive route i'd go with a camaro or a firebird. maybe a monte carlo or a pontiac grand prix gtp/gxp (gxp is a FWD 5.3L V8, gtp is supercharged v6)

AWD i'd go with an A4 or somethin along those lines....
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion