What's a good way to save money for a car? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

What's a good way to save money for a car?

I am 15, turning 16 in a couple of months and I have a part time job. I want to start saving for a used Ford Mustang, I make about $200 every 2 weeks but I usually end up spending all my money. I want my first car to be a nice car, not a junker. I could probably save up about $4000 by the time I am 17 for a car. My money always seems to burn a hole in my pocket. I have monthly expenses such as bus pass ($28) and my phone bill ($25) So about $330 a month I could probably save. In a year that will be around $4000. I was just wondering what I can do to keep from spending my money for a year and a half?
garren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Do you have direct deposit with work? If you don't, I would suggest you do that.
First let me say GOOD FOR YOU for using your own, hard-earned money on your car. I paid for every cent of my first car and am currently paying for my second car, as well. Unfortunately my first car only lasted 3 years, but it's still running good, I just wanted a newer car now due to planning for my future and saving for a house... long story. ANYWAYS. I'm glad there are still people out there who pay for their own stuff.

So I'm 20 in less than 2 weeks, and I have discovered an AMAZING way to save money like crazy, if you have direct deposit. Though it's easier for me since I make more, but it could work for you, too. I decided to open a new checking account at a different bank because there was an incentive if I had 6 months of direct deposit of over $100 each month. But now it's turned into something bigger. Each paycheck I put in $100 (twice a month). And it's my "non-existent" bank account because I never activated the debit card and I never got checks. And when I figure out how much money I have, I always forget about it. I've had it for almost 4 months now, and because of my start balance and my incentive, I almost have $1,000! So it is now my savings for a down payment on my house.

So since your paychecks are smaller, and you only have (rounded even) $300 a month to save, I would say each paycheck, put $50-75 into a new account. You can either be boring and not do anything or spend money for a year and save crazily and put $75-100 each paycheck, or you could live a little while still saving good money and put $50-75 each paycheck. I would recommend $50 a paycheck, though you may not be able to reach your wanted end result.

If you can't get direct deposit at work, give $60 or so to your mom each paycheck and have her keep track of your money somewhere and she can return it to you once you get your car.

Good luck and congrats!!!!!!!!
jakome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

put it in a savings account,
or a lockbox or something,
and always remember how much u want the car
roch is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion