Installing Airbags in classic Mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Installing Airbags in classic Mustang?

I found a 1968 mustang coupe for sale that I was planning on buying. My dad has vetoed the idea because it has no airbags. Is there a way of installing airbags in this car so I can try to change his mind?
Jayar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Talk with your dad and find out if there can be a compromise of some sort- for example, does the car have seatbelts? Agree with your dad that you'll take driver's safety lessons, and sign a contract that you promise to always wear your seatbelt whenever you drive. Ask him if that is acceptable, since the classic Mustang doesn't have airbags.

Or, you could buy a newer Mustang that already has airbags instead. The choice is yours. Good luck!
tedmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

No there is no way to install airbags in a vehicle not designed for them. Airbags are highly overrated anyway. The reason they were mandated back in 1986 was due to the large number of people that did not wear seatbelts. Airbags work best for people who are not belted. Since then most states have inacted mandatory seatbelt laws and seatbelt use has skyrocketed. If your properly belted in the airbags do very little to protect you and in some circumstances can even cause injury. Several hundred people have actually been killed by airbags since they became standard equipment.
eloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

That would be a huge waist of money. Also this is your first car why send a classic to the grave. Drive a Honda into your first accident and get the Mustang later.

Oldcer cars need love and when I say love I mean constant money being thrown at it.
cuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I know SRS systems rather well and what you suggest is not feasible due to that vehicle's design and interior space limitations.

As well, you are unable to purchase airbags for vehicles off the shelf.
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

No. The design of the car does not allow that possibility of putting anything in the door panels, steering wheel or dash. Simply no room for it. I believe the steel body of the car will protect you from just about anything
hassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

anything is possible with enough money but it would cost thousands to do it computer steering column air bags sensors computer system all out of newer model mustang
corley is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion