I am looking for a Mustang Cobra? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-03-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

I am looking for a Mustang Cobra?

I want a mustang cobra and i would like an 03- 04 but I dont think i will find one for a reasonable price. So I was wondering if other cobra years are just as good to modify and get good power out of them. (The other cobra years Im looking at are 96-2002, whatever i can find a good price for and decent miles)
dunmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 11:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I am in your same situation right now....looking for a Cobra around those years.

Your right, the 03-04's are pretty expensive. The cheapest I have found them for is $15000. But they are supercharged and also take premium fuel thats why I am not getting one. You probably know that. A stock one will run 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and 1/4 mile at 12.9(or close to that).

No cobra's made in 02. (unless you find a cobra R, which are very rare and super expensive)

The 01's are very fast. They run a 0-60 in 4.8 seconds and 1/4 mile in low to mid 13's. But still they are quite expensive. I doubt you will find one for a whole lot less than the 03-04, unless its been beat.

In 2000 only cobra R's were made. Good luck finding one of those. They are very rare.

In 1999 they made the new body style of cobra. Ford said it had 320 horse power(just like the 01 has). But turns out it was the same speed as the 94-98 cobras, or some people say its less powerful than the 94-98. But if you find one that was recalled then it should be up to par with the 01. But I am guessing most of them are not.

The 96-98 are fast. Just a little faster than a 99-04 GT. They run a 0-60 in 5.4 seconds, and a 13.9 second 1/4 mile. You can easily mod them to be faster. With 3.73 or 4.10 gears, head swaps, CAI, and modified exhaust you can get them down to probably close to a 5 second 0-60 depending on what you do. Throw a supercharger/or turbo (like the 03-04's had) and you'll probably be running pretty close to them. But you'll have to do the premium fuel thing.

Good luck finding your cobra

I think I might be settling down with a 96 as soon as I sell my 98 GT.
wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

for an 03 or 04 terminator cobra with low mileage and in premium condtion you will be looking at approx $23,000...like here
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/1115158616.html
http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/1113440389.html

03's. and 04's are being sold as low as $18,000 with high mileage and uncertain background.

the earlier generation cobras produced a little over 300hp and were about 1/2 second faster than a GT, 0-60.
thesecobras are very good to modify, but because they are not equipped with forged internals, top end power will be in the range of 390hp.

good, modified earlier edition cobras - like here
http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/1117550175.html

are available for between 11, 000 and 16,000 depending on upgrades, mileage and condition.

in all cases you should have a pro shop ck. out the engine (including a compression test) and suspension, brakes, drivetrain, before purchasing.

ck out craigslist for your city , neighboring cities.....for whats available.

cheers 04 cobra
akins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 12:52 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Other Cobras are a good foundation for power building, but they can't take the same power output that the newer Cobras can. The new Cobra got a seriously heavy duty transmission, rear end, and forged internals because it is factory supercharged. I don't believe the older Cobras got all that good stuff, so you will be limited on how much power you can safely make with them.
Keme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:23 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Hey friend the same position here i also want if you got then plzzzz tell me so i ll see your piece first then decide to got other....
hurste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:14 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I would suggest you search craigslist in all the major cities for 500 miles around you....
birtingr is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion