289 ford v8 rebuild? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-04-2010, 05:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

289 ford v8 rebuild?

I have rebuilt my 67 mustangs 289 v8 engine because of lack of power and trouble running. I did some basic upgrades(rocker arms, electric fan, electric fuel pump) but nothing huge. I replaced all the gaskets and almost every part or the engine. I started it and drove it a small distance after a long warm up but there was still a large amount of white smoke from the tail pipes. ecxept for piston rings and valve seals can you think of anyother reason for this? Thanks
abiram is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 05:53 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

289 ford v8 rebuild?

If it is white smoke, it is antifreeze or coolant entering the engine and trying to burn with the fuel. Check to see if the proper amount of antifreeze is inside the radiator and the overflow bottle. Also check to see if antifreeze has contaminated the engine oil. You can look at the engine oil dipstick, or look at the under side of the engine oil filler cap. If the oil is contaminated with antifreeze, it will have the appearance of a chocolate milkshake (milky white and maybe foamy). Do not start the engine if the oil is contaminated with antifreeze, as serious internal engine damage can result.

How did antifreeze get in the oil or cylinder in the first place? The engine probably overheated and a head gasket failed due to excessive heat, thus allowing antifreeze to enter the cylinder. If this is the case, check your theromostat and replace the head gasket carefully.
Shadoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

289 ford v8 rebuild?

Yep, I think it sounds like coolant/antifreeze. Hopefully it's just a head gasket.
nels91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 07:24 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

289 ford v8 rebuild?

Head Gaskets, check ya head gaskets and torque settings.
cingeswiella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

289 ford v8 rebuild?

white smoke is antifreeze bluish smoke is oil burning is it using oil or antifreeze possible head gasket this will make it run bad also perform compression test to see if compression is equal across all cylinders does it smell kind of sweet if so its definently antifreeze did u put an aftermarket intake on the car ive seen people put a vacum tree in a water port on the intake instead of a vacum port check that
imported_cleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:03 AM   #6

289 ford v8 rebuild?

give it a chance to break in before you try to condemn anything you did wrong.
Dace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

289 ford v8 rebuild?

White smoke usually indicates water or antifreese leaking. How's your oil, is it milkey white, is it overheating. How's the compression readings, any low readings between two cylinders?
Any water loss at radiator? Hope this helps.
yitzchak8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

289 ford v8 rebuild?

White smoke is an indication of water in the system.
raedford is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion