67 mustang 6800 dollars, no power steering or air conditioning, what should i do? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-04-2010, 07:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

67 mustang 6800 dollars, no power steering or air conditioning, what should i do?

ok. i've been looking at this 67 mustang thats for sale. its 6800 dollars. the outside of the car is almost imaculate. the inside is i think pretty much ideal. the biggest problem is that the car doesn't have power steering or air conditioning. even the power steering isnt a huge deal, its mostly the air conditioning part thats buggin me, cause its summer and it can get pretty hot were i live. it also needs a new muffler and new seat belts.

my biggest questions are:

can i do something about not having power steering?
if so what and how much is this gonna cost me?

how much is air conditioning going to cost me?

is this a good buy?

i keep thinking that im just rushing into this and im only 18 and i can work and buy a car later, but at the same time i keep thinkin that i only live once!

any advice?
derrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 07:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

67 mustang 6800 dollars, no power steering or air conditioning, what should i do?

My advice would be to keep looking for what you actually want. Spread your search out to surrounding states to find that one you want.

To put in power steering you're talking about $500 - $1000 in parts depending on their condition or if new. Then you have to cap labor on top of that. That could tack another grand or more on top of that.
http://www.laurelmountainmustang.com/index-1024.htm

As for the air conditioning, the price will be closer to $2,000 for all the correct parts for the in dash system. You can buy an under the dash system for $1,000.
http://www.laurelmountainmustang.com/index-1024.htm
Then you have to cap labor on top of that. That could tack another grand on top of that.

In summary, look at spending $3,000 - $6,000 to add the PS and Air after you buy that car if you hire out all the labor.

Are you ready to spend the extra money when, with a little patience, you could get it already installed.
brydger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Actually not having power steering in a muscle car like a Mustang is better than having power steering because you know the car will always respond when you are moving.

As for air, I would say just keep a fan in there and have the windows down all the time.

That is a great buy only if you can replace the seat belts and get a new muffler.
beverley86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #4

I will say this is it a 289 or the Inline 6? You can find a 66 Mustang with AC and power steering for that price range, it might not be immaculant, but it will have what you are looking for, but I digress, check the floor pans for rust, check the mileage, check for rust in the fender wells!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If all checks out Okay you will have a good buy!! Take someone who knows cars with you PLEASE!! Som people try to take advantage of a girl with money!!!!!
Rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well, as you can see those 2 items can be addded, to me seems like you not are ready for a car like this, better look for a newer car with those items already installed. Will save you a lot of money and headaches.
lucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

All those things can be added later,when you have the money.AC will run about a grand if you can do the work yourself.Less if you can find used parts.Good luck.
rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like a good deal to me man.
Check the cowl (look for rust in it), check floor pans if you can, make 100% sure you've checked for rust in every spot you can think of, it's not something you really want to deal with if you can help it.

The AC i'm sure you can find parts and pieces (ebay, craigslist) for pretty cheap, or buy a whole new kit for closer to a grand.

As for the power steering, i prefer to *not* have power steering. I have a '66 without it and when you're moving at all it's very very easy to turn. Most other newer cars with it i've driven are all a little easier while stopped, but more difficult to turn when moving.
eifion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:44 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

You do only live once. I have a 65 Fastback with no power steering, power brakes or AC. I live in IL where humidity is a monster. For 6800 in the condition you described is pretty good. Is this suppose to be a daily driver year round? If it snows where your from you may want to rethink this. If not go for it. You can have Power Assist steering put in if you really want. The AC, just roll the windows down and cruise. The engine bay looks better without all those extra unwanted parts anyway. Drive the car around for a while and see if the lack of power steering is really that bad. If it is then you can replace it later on.
kolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion