Should i buy a mustang with broken gasket? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-04-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Should i buy a mustang with broken gasket?

Theres a 1999 mustang with 120,000 miles on it. its a very nice and clean mustang. The guy is letting it go to me for 2000 cause i know him but he has a 3500 for sale sign on it. I really wanna buy it but it has a broken head gasket. Ive heard its a real hassle cause its ford. Is it worth it or should i just go elsewhere?
dario is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

The problem is that, until you get it apart, you don't really know if it's just the head gasket or if maybe the head is warped or if maybe the block is cracked. Head gasket is not that hard or expensive, BUT the other two possibilities can run "big" bucks.
sein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

you should be able to find a mustang from that time period with less than 100,000miles for 2000-2500.00

if you can do the work, and have the tools, you could change the head gaskets over a weekend, as long as the heads are off , you should get the valves done, and seals replaced this should cost 500.00 with you doing assembly and disassembly...

if you have someone else do all the work... they will charge between 1000-2000.00

so this car would cost you 2500-4000.00

look for a better car.....
Nevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

that's what he,s saying is wrong with it,if he got it hot enough when the head gasket blown on it then it may have other problems id pass on it you can get a real nice car for that amount ,why buy something that already needs repairing,good luck.
bour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Go else where, unless you can do the work your self, it's a pain! If you keep looking for the exact same car you can find it for 2000-2500 with nothing wrong with it. Check craigslist.com
mervyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion