Which Car out of this list? Meachanics input greatly appreciated? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Which Car out of this list? Meachanics input greatly appreciated?

Im trying to decide which of these vehicals to purchase, they all have low milage. It will be used for long time, so I need something reliable, and if something does break the cost of parts will be a factor too.

It will mainly be used for back to work, and home, and school.

Here s the list:

2001 Audi TT AWD/Quatrro
2001 Ford Mustang GT
2005 Mazda RX-8
2006 Honda Civic SI
2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
2003 Volkswagon Jetta GLI
2006 Cheverolet Cobalt SS

Thanks!
conroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I own a supercharged 06 Cobalt SS. I love the car, but parts are kind of hard to come buy and are pricey. It responds well to power upgrades, but those too are very expensive. It has been a very reliable car though. Only issue I ever had is that the sunroof took a dump with about 43000 miles on it. It was covered under warranty though. Fuel mileage is good on it. Not a bad choice.

Of all the cars on the list, the 2001 Ford Mustang GT would be your best bet. It will be the most fun to drive out of the bunch, the most reliable and parts for it are the cheapest and most readily available out of all your selections. I am a big Mustang enthusiast and own a 93 GT.

The Civic Si is a decent choice, but parts are a little pricey for it.

The rest of the cars on your list are very expensive to repair and maintain. Parts are expensive too.

The RX-8 is junk. They are slow, parts are expensive, they eat oil and the rotary engine is very expensive to repair.
wetherly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

i would go with, in this order and assuming all are in equal condition;

the mustang
the jetta
the cobalt
the civic
the mazda or the audi
the eclipse.

what you want is a car that YOU like. drive them all and see how they each feel to you. also determine if there is anything you dont like about the cars that you dont want to put up with. for instance if you like the mustang, but the ride quality is not what you want, dont buy the mustang. if the color is something you dont like, so what. when people check out the car they wont ridicule you over the color.
camdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Im not a meachanic but know a lot about cars. I would say first is audi because they are very well known for high end cars. They perform well and are very nice inside and out. They also have great racing backround that add to the preformence. Also honda are good they run forever! I would also say volkswagon because they also run and are built very well so over all audi is the best choice. Also mezda is an ok choice but since its made by ford you pretty much buying a ford but anyway they have roterary engines so might not be the easiest to fix if something happens and they also rev. very very high for a car.
kang29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

well for one insurance is going to be high on all of these cars.Exept for the civic. They are all considered sports cars. The audi is a expensive car to fix mega expensive. the mustang good car still costly to fix example a starter is 200 bucks. mazda good car reliable.
Honda reliable good resale value. Mitsubishi stay away.
The volks, exellent car my choice. the chevy good car probaly the cheapest to care for over time.
Dinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well out of all of those the cheapest to fix if something did break would prolly be the Mustang, however, I had a 2001 Jetta and when I sold it, It had over 230,00 miles on it. The others seem to be small sporty coupes which are extremely expensive to insure. If insurance price isn't important (like if your parents are goin to add you on theirs) the Civic would be a awesome car. Small very reliable and cheap on gas.
sidney16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Go for any japanese car! They are known for strong engines and will last you a long time if you take good care of it. Never get a american car, they are garbage and will cost you alot of repairs in the long run.
I have a 2004 Mazda6 Sport GT and I have no problems whats so ever, just the normal oil change, breaks, tires etc after time of course
If your looking for more style as well, definitely go with the Mazda RX-8. That ride is sooo sweeet!! Its definitely a looker driving by the hunnys! Interior/Exterior for that price, is unbelieveable compared to say like a bmw or audi? Its worth it every penny man.. go for the mazda rx-8 you will thank me later
Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I would go with a VW Jetta. You may have to spend more money on fuel if it has a Diesel engine buy you'll be able to go to about 500,000 miles without having to do anything to the engine if it is a Diesel.
jerad9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I'm no car expert but i would say you should get a car that will be good on gas. i like mustangs and my dad just got one and he loves it. good luck!!
macdaibhidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

My daughter has a Cobalt and had no problems. I would get the newest model I could afford.
rodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:35 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

the honda.

no way would I choose the audi, ford, volkswagon or chevy
imported_sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

mazda rx 8 my uncle has 1 they are really gud and fuel efficient
tung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Like most European cars, they break down frequently especially Audi's and BMW's.

The Ford Mustangs are versatile and cool vehicles, but unfortunately, the 2001 model years get a low score in reliability. However, I recommend Fords, I have a 2002 Explorer and it has never failed me yet and it has over 110,000 miles. Then engine in a Ford Explorer is very similar to a Mustang GT engine.

Mazda's are very reliable, fun, and efficient. I highly recommend this car, although it has a Rotary Engine instead of a cylinder based engine so the repair bills are slightly higher. The RX-8 just like all Mazda's do not break down easily.

The Honda Civic Si is very reliable like all Honda's. If you are looking for something sporty, reliable and economical then the Civic is for you. But the Si like all Honda's are boring to drive, have no style, and you will look ordinary and boring. Not to mention bad reputation teenagers a.k.a ****** bags drive Civics so police officers will see you as a threat, which leads to more traffic offenses. In addition, the insurance would be expensive due to the Honda Civic's reputation.

Mitsubishi's are unreliable, expensive, and have high insurance rates. The Mitsubishi Eclipse GT is similar to the Honda Civic Si. They are both attracted to deviants and police officers alike, and their reputation causes high insurance rates and unnecessary attention from police officers. Except for the fact that Mitsubishi's are very unreliable. Eclipse's engines tend to break down in the manner that would drain your wallet. The Eclipse is notorious for burning out engine gaskets, and cylinder heads. However, this does not happen to all Mitsubishi models, as long as the year of the car is 2006 or higher. The 2006 Eclipse or newer has more of a grown up yet sporty design which attracts females, and other good attention. Not to mention it is very reliable and it is much faster.

I highly recommend the 2003 Jetta's, as well as every Volkswagon that has ever existed. The Jetta is very reliable, fuel efficient, and safe. However, the fun factor is not that high, so it wouldn't be much of a car for you since you seem to want a sporty car. The Jetta, with some upgrades, can be a potentially fun car. I recommend the TDI (Turbo Diesel model) because it is very fuel efficient, clean, and it can be very fast. A Diesel engine has the potential to do almost everything from racing to hauling. The Diesel engine is very versatile and customizable. That is why Diesel is popular. Think of this, Izuzu build the most popular tow trucks, why? Because the engine only has a small four cylinder engine but has the equivalent power of any other tow truck with a bigger engine. The only difference is the Izuzu fuel economy is much better. So go with the advantage of having a turbocharger in your engine. Get the Jetta TDI.

The 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS isn't much of a car. Although the engine is fast, fuel efficient, and reliable, the quality of the interior and exterior body is pretty bad. Many have reported problems with the sunroof, dash boards, and electric components. Overall it is a good car, but it's not recommended for those who look for quality in the interior and exterior body.
parnell is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion