I was wondering if you all could tell me everything you know about tuning up cars? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

I was wondering if you all could tell me everything you know about tuning up cars?

i plan on getting a hyundai tiburon gt, or maybe a later years honda prelude. a newish toyota solara maybe.
i'd like to know what any of you guys might do to them, and step-by-step, preferably. what you would change to improve it, preferences on different makes of parts, all of that stuff.

any other cars that could go well under tuning would be good, also...my parents car standards are somewhat strict. i'll give you the general idea.
-no convertible roof.
-no mustangs, camaros, trans ams, etc. (nothing too "sporty"...i don't know why they're considering a tiburon.)
-no luxury cars (bmw, lexus, cadillac, etc.)
-used and within $10,500.
-airbags on front and passenger seats
you get the idea.
duck-young is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I was wondering if you all could tell me everything you know about tuning up cars?

I could tell you everything I know about tuning up cars... How long have you got?

To a Hyundai Tiburon, or any other front wheel drive car for that matter, the thing you need to worry about most to achieve the best performance is traction - you can hot up the engine all you want, but you still won't be able to accelerate much quicker than a standard car, because the harder you try to accelerate in a normal FWD car, the less grip you have to do so.

I would start with a good aftermarket limited slip differential centre. Then I would do some serious upgrading to the suspension (customised coilovers set up to your car, replacement of all rubber bushes wth polyurethane at the very least, even better is custom chrome-moly suspension arms with heim joint ends, thicker anti-roll bars, 'track' wheel alignment setup) then some lightweght forged magnesium wheels with fat and sticky tyres. Then big brakes and heavy-duty clutch upgrades, After that get into some serious weight reduction (carbon fibre body panelling, lexan windows, removal of un-necessary interior {incl. air-con and stereo} and sound deadening, replace front seats wth light weight race buckets, things like that).

Once all that is done, then go stupid with the engine. A complete build-up with much stronger componentry than stock to handle all the extra loads you'll be putting through it after you turbo and nitrous the motor. You'll probably also have to get an aftermarket gearset for your gearbox to cope with all the power.

You'll be getting the 2.7 litre V6 right? The turbo off a Nissan RB25DETT should do you just fine for starters - with custom manifolding and supporting ancillaries you should be able to see 175-190 kW at the wheels out of the engine before you nitro it. With a bigger turbo and a properly set up nitrous kit, 300-325 reliable kWatw is fairly easily attainable. You just need lots of cash to pay for every thing, and a good workshop and engine tuner.
hawiovi17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

A tune up is usually just Spark Plugs and wires (with dielectric grease). This should be done each year.

Go to your local auto parts store and get a Haynes repair manual it will have step by step instructions for the car you get. Including all basic maintenance.

K&N air-filters are good for a little extra horse power.
ighneachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Get a hippy van! They'll cost $1000 at most for a used one, spend a few thousand on a new engine and stuff, a bed/fridge/everything in the back. Yeahh, and when you're pissed at your parents or something, live in your car!
hurste is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion