Should I get bodywork done on my trade-in? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-06-2010, 04:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Should I get bodywork done on my trade-in?

I'm considering buying a new Mazda 6. Yesterday I took my 2002 Mustang to the Mazda dealership. My 2002 Mustang only has 49,000 miles on it and works fine; the only thing wrong with it is part of the bumper needs work (this past winter when parking, I slipped on some ice and the car hit a barrier wall). The price quoted to me from Dent Eliminators to fix the bumper was $550.

Anyway, the Mazda dealership appraised my 2002 Mustang at $4,500 -- they told me they would have to deduct $1,500 from the trade-in value because of the bumper! I told the guy I was quoted at $550 to have it fixed! I said, "Do you mean to tell me you'd give me $6,000 for this car?" The Kelly Blue Book Value is $5,800 for a car in "good" condition. Even the "fair" condition is $5,085. I left without buying a car.

Should I get the bumper fixed? I couldn't believe he told me they would deduct that much!!
emrys27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2010, 04:47 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

They are jerking your chain. It would not cost them anywhere near what you would pay to fix it (if they even bothered). I think I would find another dealer.
kippar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:26 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Edit: That's really nothing. I am sure it is just the mount that has broke. It is a little piece of plastic that is around $10 at most. If I were you, I would go to your local Ford Dealer and ask for them to fix it. Or, just compare around to get estimates.

Best of Luck
tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2010, 06:06 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

So you say, ok, I'll have my bumper professionally fixed tomorrow, will you give me the $6000?

Now, you should be ready to buy, right?
lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion