1996 ford mustang?need some good advice...? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-07-2010, 04:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

1996 ford mustang?need some good advice...?

To make a long story short i have been wanting a mustang for a while and a couple of days ago i saw a 96 down at a buy here pay here lot for 1200 dollars down but its got 220,000 miles on it.And i thought to myself wow what a ripoff but i have been looking all over the place and i can't find a mustang anywhere cheap even around that year and every one i see around 94-98 has the same miles and cost about the same.so i have three questions.1.are mustangs realy that reliable that they can last that long 220,000 miles.2.if i do decide to get the mustang for 1200 down how long will it last me before i have to put a new motor in it based upon an estimation of how long mustang engines last.3.I oriuginaly wanted a gt so i was thinking all i would have to do is drop a gt engine down in it and put leather seats from another gt change the tires and put a good stereo in it and turn it into a gt but would this work would a 4.6 fit in a 96 6 cil mustang?
deshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 04:09 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

1.are mustangs realy that reliable that they can last that long 220,000 miles.

A.220,000 miles is a lot of miles for any car and even the most reliable cars will start to have problems at this point...Older mustangs are known for having transmission problems way before 220k miles.

2.if i do decide to get the mustang for 1200 down how long will it last me before i have to put a new motor in it based upon an estimation of how long mustang engines last.

A.Not every car is the same, at 220k there is a chance it will break the week after you get it, it also could last you another 100k... all in all, mustangs are not known for lasting all that long 220k is a lot longer than most of the them last with NORMAL maintainence..

3.I oriuginaly wanted a gt so i was thinking all i would have to do is drop a gt engine down in it and put leather seats from another gt change the tires and put a good stereo in it and turn it into a gt but would this work would a 4.6 fit in a 96 6 cil mustang?

A. Anything can be done for the right amount of money... but the question is do you really want to spend that much money? Why do you want this mustang that bad... Your buying a high mileage V6 mustang... it won't be fast, and your not sure if it will even be reliable... If you really want a Mustang my suggestion would be to save up some more money, and buy a lower mileage GT and save yourself a lot of headache.
lise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:43 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

a car with that milege, problems a lemon sure, be carefull,in some months it will nead everything
100,000 or 150000 its ok but 220 000 you will have problems,or you have a mechanic friend , if not beware
berwynne is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion