Camaro Vs. Mustang Vs. Firebird Vs. Other.? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Camaro Vs. Mustang Vs. Firebird Vs. Other.?

Hello all,
I am debating wither or not I should trade my current car (04 Hyundai Tiburon GT) for another car. If I should decide to do so, it won't be for a few months. I'm looking for a car that comes stock with a nice balance of speed and power, which all 3 below cars seem to have.

The Models are as follows:
00-02 Pontiac Firebird Trans AM Coupe-----305Hp, 335 ft lb Tq V8
00-02 Chevrolet Camero Z-28 Coupe---310Hp, 335 ft lb Tq V8
00-03 Ford Mustang GT Coupe-------260Hp, 302 ft lb Tq V8

One thing to keep in mind, the mustang has a mass amount of after market upgrades, many parts, and the lightest of the other two, needing less pull to get going. Not immediatly, I plan on adding a turbo/super which should make a mustang hit 375ish Hp, and idk on the others. All cars are V8's, I don't care much about gas mileage, might aswell get my kicks before everything hits hybrids. Also, if I could get ahold of a Mustang Cobra/Shelby I would just get it, but there a lil more pricey.

Normally, I would be wanting some imported V6 tuned up, but costs are a little more than I like. Example, my top 3 wanted cars are 1. Toyota Supra (96 TT), 2. Mitsubishi 3000Gt/Dodge Stealth (same thing 96 TT), 3. Nissan 300zx (96 Turbo). Yea, something about 96 went right. Anyway, the gt and 300zx run around 8k each, then its going to be about 15k to upgrade them to a nice running ability, supra's run around 15k then another 15k to get them show room status.

Mustang, 5-12k, plus 1k for a super charger, maybe new suspension for another grand or two.

The "other" in the title is up to whom ever. Please first vote for which of the 3, then if you have a suggestion you think would be better or same. Please keep all suggestions around 10k or less, as my trade in is only worth around $8200.
beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

if i was you i would go for the camaro z28, because its simply a better performance car then the mustang, the trans am is the same as the camaro, even though the mustang is easier to modifiy, here are some numbers for these cars.

2000-2002 camaro z28 0-60 in 5.1 secs
2000-2002 trans am 0-60 in 5.1 secs
2000-2003 mustang gt 0-60 in 5.6 secs

so dude if i was you i would go for the camaro z28, its just me, if your looking for style get the mustang, if your looking for performance, get the camaro, think about it dude, you will get looks from alot of people if you drive a camaro, cause i drive one, and everybody has a mustang, get something thats rare now, good luck in buying your car dude.
jukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Personal preference, man. Obviously they're all powerful cars as-is and they have plenty of potential. If I was making the choice, I'd probably go with the Stang, I just like them better than the GM counterparts.
Cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

R u finished or r u still dreaming
bitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I recommend Genesis Coupe.

According to motor trends data,

Infiniti G37 0-60 mph : 5.4 sec
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...335/specs.html

Genesis Coupe V6 0-60 mph : 5.5 sec
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...est/specs.html

It as good as G37. the G37 may be slightly faster but it's not slightly more expensive. The cheapest G37 you can get with a manual is the $37K. The cheapest V6 Genesis with a manual is $25K.

Official website of Genesis Coupe (US)
http://www.hyundaigenesis.com/coupe/

Official website of Genesis Coupe (Global)
http://genesiscoupe.hyundai.com/
eloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Having been what some call a gear-head from the sixties, I have to go with the Mustang.
While some might say I am a prejudice because I hate anything GM, you need to understand why I lean towards the Ford. In this case the reason is simple - try to change the last two spark plugs on the GM products you mention! It is a nightmare. If you are going to have that much of a problem changing spark plugs, how difficult will it be to do simple engine modifications?
So, if you want to tweak the engine components the least amount, get the car that is easiest to work on!
Get the Mustang.
dalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I would keep the Tiburon GT

According to the factory and some car magazines that tested it.
0-60mph is in 7.6 seconds for GT Manual transmission model.
And 7.2 seconds for GT SE 6 speed manual version. 1/4 mile in 15.3
And 8.3 seconds for automatic GT.

The Tiburon GT handles much better and is more fun to drive because of lighter weight.

But the Camaro Z28/Firebird are much faster. 0-60mph in 5.5 seconds for manual trans and 5.9 seconds for automatic.
baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Having enjoyed cars with V8's in them, I would not want one now. They are a blast (and were better before being detuned by smog equipment regulations), but I would not be able to afford $5 per gallon of fuel to feed one anymore. Just my opinion as an "old guy" :}
hurste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

350Z baby! Power, handling, performance, looks and even decent fuel economy. If you were considering the 300ZXTT, than you definitely need to look at a nice clean used 350Z with good maintenance records! And you can mod it later if you want, but it's a sweet ride, and out-handles a 'Stang by a large margin, the Z has much better handling dynamics.
arvad is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion