Do you have to be certified to open your own auto shop? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-08-2010, 03:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Do you have to be certified to open your own auto shop?

A little back ground:
I grew up on a farm around tractors,which is where I first got the mechanic bug, doing minor repairs and basic maintenance on our equipment and farm trucks with my dad.
When I got my first car ( a 91' taurus) I could never afford to have a shop fix it when stuff broke, so I always had to figure it out myself. It was all small stuff on that car: starter needed replaced, leaky radiator, one brake caliper seized up on me; stuff like that but it was a good car and I kept it running myself .

Eventually the Taurus got tired so I got myself a 97 Mustang with bad head-gaskets. Again I could afford the new head-set and the fee for the warp check, but not labor for someone else to do it for me, so once again I had to roll up my sleeves and do it myself. This was my first real mechanical project that involved partial dis-assembly of the actual engine, but I found it to be much easier to do than I had originally thought and learned a lot about engines in the process, long story short, I still drive the car and have driven over 90,000 miles on it without any additional head-gasket problems, since then I have also replaced my own clutch, steering rack, and front ball joints as well as completely rebuilding the rest of my front steering and suspension: struts, tie-rod ends, bushings etc. and even had my transmission partially apart to replace the housing gasket.

I frequently repair my sisters, Dodge Neon( damn thing always has something wrong with it) and even helped my brother put a new engine in his 2000 Nissan Frontier( old engine lost the timing belt and destroyed the valves). I have completed all repairs successfully and the vehicles all run well and reliably. I also do repairs on my friends cars because they are always broke( the cars AND the friends).

I am now 22 yrs old and since I seem to have a natural talent for understanding how cars work and how to fix them I have began to think about going into business for myself, repairing clunkers for people who need their vehicle but can't afford a newer car or the more expensive repair shops. I have discovered that in most cases the largest chunk of their bill is usually labor and not the cost of the actual parts( an alternator usually costs around $60-$90 dollars to buy but most shops will charge you at least a couple hundred dollars to do the replacement)

So my question is kind of a two part-er.

I know you don't need to be certified to be hired as an auto mechanic but do you need any type of certification or licensing to own your own auto shop?

And if you knew some one like me personally and trusted them, would you bring your vehicles to their shop to be repaired even if they weren't ASE certified, but charged lower labor fees because of it?

Thank you for reading this long@** story just to get to the questions, all feedback is appreciated.

shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:47 AM   #2
Registered Member
Do you have to be certified to open your own auto shop?

Yes you do. You also need to pass yearly tests.
h¡varr is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion