1965A mustangs , need to know more about this model.? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-08-2010, 04:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

1965A mustangs , need to know more about this model.?

I was digging around on some property I inherited and found that there are 2 mustangs ID'd as 1965A models, both inline 6's, one automatic and one stick. Between the two, a person could probably make one good from the parts. They are a bit rusty, but not beyond salvage.

Question,
Are these cars marked "A", the rare 1964 1/2 first run mustangs?

And the loaded question, what do you suppose this pair of cars worth? (I can probably get titles for both)
imported_travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 04:10 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

on the data plate, the Body code 65A is a 2 door hardtop which is the standard Mustang, the date code can tell you, but the only letter in the serial number to determine if it's a 64 1/2 is the last letter, which is the engine code, D, F,U and sometimes K. if it has a early date code.. A,C and T engines are the 65's..

For yours to be a 64 1/2, the engine code would have to be a U, and they had generators..

The pair might be worth $1500..

As for the six winning a 1st gear drag race, it is possible.. I owned a 65/200/3 sp it only had a 3.20 axle, but had a 3.30 1st gear which gave it a overall of 10.56, so it was quick out of the hole, but was all over at 30 mph when you had to shift to second.. it also took off while the v8 with 3.00 axle and 2.20 1st was spinning it's tires..
currito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:25 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

correct answer about coupe model being the "A"
as I supose you know the six banger models dont fetch good money
the more the power the more the bucks 2+2 gt model being highly sought with the pony package.
the models you have described were the bargain floor models. to be honest if the 2 cars have very good parts still intact the cars would likely fetch you much better money if you parted them out to resto guys needing good original stang parts.
to the guy about the 260 being beat across the intersection by the straight six-- Ford never installed the ratio gears it would take to get that 6 banger to out power the 260. the owner of the 6 banger had to install around 5:13 gears to get that launch and they would totally suck daily driving
tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 05:06 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

The A doesn't refer to the 1964 1/2 manufacturer dates, but is an indication of trim level, that these are base models. B or C would be fancier interiors.

These don't have the extreme collector value that the Shelby or HiPo 289 V-8 models have, but I think are still worth enough to find someone interested to restore.

My dad had a 1964 1/2 Mustang with the 260 and said that his buddy that had the 6 cyl mustang like what you have could beat him across the intersection across a drag race, the low gearing makes it launch pretty good.
macdhubh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:11 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 1965A model Mustang as well, it definitely is not a 1964 1/2 Mustang. I thought it would be too. If you go to this website and you have your door plate (inside the front door) numbers, you can decode your door plate numbers (VIN) here. It will tell you where and when it was made etc.

http://www.mustangdecoder.com/plates_1965.html

I believe that the 65A means that it is a coupe style body.
sowingwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:27 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

all ford mustangs are coupes,DUH.!!!!!!! the A ,B,C are different model types with options available.never made a four door pony.the cars you have are the plain jane base models..with the straight six,the others had the 289,V8.but still worth some thing if not too badly rusted,especially the front shock towers and inner fender wells,these are not replacable if need will have to be fab.you could probably get a few thousand for the pair,if have titles..
collin is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion