Info. on P-51 Mustang shot down over USA? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-09-2010, 05:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Info. on P-51 Mustang shot down over USA?

Anyone have info. on P-51 Mustang shot down over US soil during WWII? Website or anything?

H
berke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 05:35 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I've never heard of any P-51 Mustang being shot down over the US during World War 2. I do know there were training accidents, but I've not heard of any involving friendly fire, but I don't think it impossible. Gunnery training did incorporate some specially modified, manned aircraft such as the Bell RP-63 Kingcobra Pinball which had extra armour, special sensors, and a lighting system in the nose to record successful hits by frangible, coloured bullets, but there's no record of a P-51 Mustang being used in this way.You may want to pose the question at the forums listed below.

N.
bartlett14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:09 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

If it's any help, I have heard of a WWII era aircraft( P-51 or P-38) being used by drug traffickers that was shot down by the Coast Guard a few years back,just a rumor as far as I know, maybe that's what you're thinking of.
shan57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 06:21 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Dude, but the one I'm thinking about was shot down state-side during the war and was ID-ed as out of the Philippines with no one having a clue how it got state-side. Appreciate it, though.

H
darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:41 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

If a P51 was shot down over MAINLAND US soil, it must have been friendly fire. German nor Japanese planes came anywhere near the US mainland. HAWAII may be another story.
columbanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:19 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

AS FARE AS I KNOW THERE WAS NOT A P-51 MUSTANG SHOT DOWN OVER US SOIL. BUT YOU MAY FIND THE INFO YOU ARE LOOKING FOR AT THIS WEB SIT http://www.globalaircraft.org/ OR AT ONE OF IS HUNDREDS OF OTHER WEBSITES LINKS. ALSO YOU CAN FINED ALL YOUR AIR PLANE INTERESTS THERE ALSO.
jakome is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion