Shattering noise and vibration when engaging the clutch only on first gear and reverse? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-10-2010, 05:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Shattering noise and vibration when engaging the clutch only on first gear and reverse?

2002 Ford Mustang GT 5 speed. I just put a new Spec stage 1 clutch kit Presure plate clutch throw out bering and pilot bering,Resurface the stock fly weel. what it my be ? would i need to replace the fly weel to or did not got resurface like the mechanic say. or just this high performance clutch needs a lon brake in period?
wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 05:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Shattering noise and vibration when engaging the clutch only on first gear and reverse?

Are you sure that the rear engine seal was good? And did you use sealer on the threads of the bolts which hold the flywheel to the crank? Sounds like a clutch disk with oil contamination. I just went through that on my '65 Mustang. The bolts which hold the flywheel to the crank seeped oil. Had to replace everything and use sealer on the bolts.
burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:55 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

This is most often caused by a bad pressure plate. It isn't engaging the clutch disk evenly.
Unfortunately, new only means new, it doesn't mean it will operate correctly.
I have installed a few clutch assemblies only to have to exchange and reinstall - it's a bummer.
stanwyk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 06:40 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Clutch chatter happens on high performance clutches. Give it some time it may need a longer brake in period. Try not to beat on the car too much while you are still in the break in period.

Also you may want to invest in a adjustiable clutch quadrant.
txanton is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion