What would the cost be for a 6 cyl reman engine for a 67 mustang. I was just charged $2557.00? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

What would the cost be for a 6 cyl reman engine for a 67 mustang. I was just charged $2557.00?

I was just charged a total of $13,000. for parts and labor for a new engine for my 67 mustang. When I picked up the car not all the parts were new on it. Please help. I have no idea about cars. I had this work done at a 76 gas station. They had my car for 4 months. The original estimate they gave me (verbal) was for $6,000. That was to include new front disc brakes. Please if anyone can help with this. I am going to post the questions to the other parts I was charged for.
imported_Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

What would the cost be for a 6 cyl reman engine for a 67 mustang. I was just charged $2557.00?

According to this site they sell 200 cu.in. 6cyl motors for $1300 complete, http://www.precisionengine.com/rebui...ry/index.html. Labor should be less than that for install, unless they are getting you to pay for a trainee to get his license to install. Retrofitting front drums to disks , the kit from this site is about $700 .http://www.superiormustangparts.com/...ang-parts.asp. If they did a conversion using used parts from a Grenada then you may experience some drivability issues in terms of steering control.http://forums.stangnet.com/archive/i...t-652663.html. Either way , $6000 was a bit high, but $13000 is a joke, and should have been able to be done by someone with half a brain in less than a month.
Felten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

well you should have gotten it in writing cause it looks like ot costs 13,ooo

seriously it depends the old parts dont matter its when the engine was rebuilt as long as all parts are ok did the give you any type of warranty on the engine cause if any thing happens to it any time soon its obviously there fault, unless you do something stupid like not put oil in it.
imported_Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

First mistake: I had this work done at a 76 gas station
Second mistake: The original estimate they gave me (verbal) was for $6,000 ---- KEY WORD VERBAL
$13,000.00 is getting close to a 100% car restoration (ground up), not replacing parts to exact OEM (going to 100% OEM is more like 20 to $30,000 pending on the needs)
Engine rebuild on a 6 cylinder is maybe in the $1500.00 area (hell of a lot cheaper to do it yourself) pending work requirements (how/if cylinders get rebored and quality of parts)
My friends 62 Impala was $28,000 to 100% original detail as it came of the show room floor (down to decals in correct position)
If I do a rebuild its cost of parts and charge ($800 to 1000.00) on an 8 cylinder avg cost for an 8 cylinder materials and labor (no new crank or pistons) is about $1400.00 or so depending on quality of product owner wants
montrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Wow, that is a lot. The price on the engine isn't bad, but that thing ought to go in and out of the car for about a thousand bucks. $6000 with brakes is not 'way high, but $13K? I don't think so.
sein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Have you signed any paper work? Do they have authorisation to do the repairs at their shop?
Call a lawyer Hope you just picked the car up.
Time is key here
riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

WOW!, you got ripped off big time, pulling the old engine and installing the new one should have been done in no more than 2 days to begin with and the new rebuilt engine should be about $1,500 and another $500 to $600 for labor to take the old one out and install the new one. I think I would be looking into a lawyer as you just got robbed.
Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

i guess you should nt go there any more they seen you coming.... lets see now you know what kind of motor you can call any parts store and ask them what one sells for and ask about brake too....and four months you got to be kiding right new motor if you had to order it a week maybe a day to put it in brake a couple hours im sure you got rip..and when you get a motor most dont come with all the parts they come only half put togetherand i dont think 67 had disk brake mine didnt hey did they repaint it while they had it... how long have you been driving here in this country
collin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

You were ripped off big time. Contact a layer but if you didn't have any thing in writing there's probably not much that can be done. Always get estaments from different shops for a job this big. If the bill has charges for new parts and they're not maybe you can get them on that
cleavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

WOW!
When in need of major repairs, obtain several quotes in writing. There are many facilities that will re & re an engine & perform other component replacement.

cuinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion