5.0 in a 2005 ford ranger? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

5.0 in a 2005 ford ranger?

ok i want to put a 5.0 mustang engine in my ranger... im not sure which one to get ive seen that the boss 302 and the explorer engines might fit with some mods but i was also looking at performance crate engines since it is gonna be in my truck and im not going to race it would it be better to get like a boss 302, 80s mustang or explorer or should i get the crate engine since i know its new... also if anyone has done a swap like this please let me know what other parts i will have to swap (i.e. transmission, clutch, headers, etc.) my truck is an auto but i wanna make it a manual so i might have to change the steering column since the gearshift is behind the steering wheel... so any ideas or tips would help ive only swapped a 4cyl for a better one before so this will be a good challenge since my ranger is a v6 and i wanna swap with a v8 and i have all the tools to do it so just need help choosing an engine and seeing what other parts ill need to swap with it... thanks
ruhleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

The 302 boss is a "hemi" headed 302. This change can be done using Cleveland heads on the Windsor block (with a few special parts). So the 302 create engine would be no easier as far as fit up and clearance problems. Engine swap mounts are easy to find and will be needed.
The biggest choice is what year engine. I would prefer a port fuel injection engine. While this requires a ECM, it makes for a more fuel efficient swap. A post 95 engine would also give you a chance to use a lap top for fuel mapping and programing.
The V6 engined Rangers had several different transmissions used for the manuals at least. I would go to a floor mounted shifter (stay away from bargain basement deals on this and get a good one). So you will need every thing from the drive shaft forward as a minimum. I would also upgrade the whole power train. The 7.5 (which I think is what you have) rear end is not the best for stress. I would think that the 8.3 would be the smallest to use.
As far as headers, the best will always be the 360 degree headers, top dollar too. So I always go with tri-Wye's for street engines. 2.5 inch exhaust system should keep you in the torque range for the engine.
The easiest way to get the parts is to find a rolled over full size pick-up for the donor.
Find a good ranger forum to find out more.
culloden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink, ie you chose poorly
agni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

i would go with one from the eighties cause they are the easiest to build my father and i took one form an 84 mustang and took it from 150 horse to 325 very easily plus if you go earlier enough you can go carb and its easier to adjust than the computer p also the block may be iron buts its stronger and the block will accept aluminum heads
imported_driscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

OK, a 302 is a 302 is a 302, see where I'm going with this? Now then, if you have the bucks the NEW BOSS 302 is the snot!! The block is bullet proof and the heads are huge. If you are on a budget, a good quality roller motor with some aftermarket heads and at least an E303 cam and you will be in the 325 to 340hp realm in no time.

Oh yeah, the 69/70 BOSS 302 is a 4V Cleveland wedge head NOT say again NOT a hemi!!
fearghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't swap the engine in a three year old car, man. If you are hell-bent on doing it, i wouldn't use any ten year old components doing it. Go with the crate motor, that way not only will you get a brand new fresh, powerful motor, but you won't be scrapping a bunch of older parts together. If this was like a 85 or a 95 ranger, then hell yeah i'd say build up that 302 from a wrecked Stang or Explorer or Mark VII, whatever, but nah, your truck is still a baby.
derrold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Go for it! Make your Ranger scream!

The Ranger Station has a ton of information on engine swaps for the Ranger. They can walk you through swaps for the 302, 351 and 4.6 and also help with the transmission swap.
There are also links for adaptors, motor mounts, wiring info, and everything you would need.

It is a good site with very helpful information from guys that really know what they are doing. I had a V8 Ranger and am now doing a 1936 Ford. Life is fun and should be enjoyed!
baldrik is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion