My horse has never needed to have her hooves trimmed. How is this possible? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

My horse has never needed to have her hooves trimmed. How is this possible?

I bought a 3 year old filly from the "meat buyer" guy at a horse auction 4 years ago. I don't know anything at all about her history or breeding other than her legs were severly scarred and she was wild, but I believe that she could be at least part mustang. In the four years that I have owned her, I have never once had to trim her hooves. NEVER! Seriously! They are never long... they are never short... they are never chipped. And she has never been lame a single day. I have never owned or even heard of a horse that never needed it's hooves trimmed. I think it's a combination of great hoof genetics and the fact that she is never stalled and the climate is very hot and dry and the ground is hard in western Oklahoma where I live. What do you think?

And yes, I have had my farrier check her, and she's fine! She's just a freak horse. She's only been ridden lightly.

I bought her on a complete impulse... I just looked into her eyes and connected and couldn't walk away. I never had any big dreams and goals for her other than to be happy and healthy and my best little pony friend. She's just amazing. She is so hardy, tough, athletic and smart. When I first bought her, she would jump a 5 foot fence (she would generally cut her legs, but she apparently didn't care), just because she wanted to go where ever she pleased. Has anyone ever owned a horse that was anything like this? Thanks!
merla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

On the environment where she lives, she maintains her feet on her own just like horses in the wild. If she is healthy, her feet do grow and would require trimming if she were not able to keep them worn down where she lives. It is best for her to be able to do this. Most domesticated horses have to endure human intervention with their feet. Good for you and better for her.
roselyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I had 2 mustangs brought in with three other horses, the other three you could tell hadnt been trimmed in a very long time. The mustangs feet looked totally fine, like they had been trimmed. All where kept in the same pasture for years. Your horse could be mustang or since its turned out works her own hooves out. Wild horses do this all the time.
mervyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

My first thought before I even read the details was "mustang." It must have to do with genetics, but yes also the environment. Horses that are pastured on rough terrain wear their hooves naturally, while stalled horses need more attention usually.
Farren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

i recently rescued an appendix gelding and a mustang gelding both 23 their former owner has had them 3 yrs and 20 yrs never even had to rasp their hooves. my farrier said its like hitting the lotto. good hard feet. i see it like a self cleaning oven it does all the work for me lol.
arvad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
Ryn
Registered Member
Regular

I agree with the last person's answer! You're lucky! =) I don't know how it's possible but it's cool! =) I want a horse that doesn't need a farrier... or a vet.... or food... and that comes with its own stable and pasture... and tack... and trailor... and truck... and gas money.... FOR FREE! Haha! what do you think the chances are of that happening? Lol! =)
Ryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I think she could like rib them against somthing, look and see if there are any places where it looks like the wood or wtever it is you have is rubbed off, because she could e smart and do it herself
broughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I have some horses that never need their hooves trimmed. I have some that are 9 years old and I have had them since they were yearlings. They have never had their hooves trimmed. I have others that need regular trims so it just depends on the horse and how its kept. Mine are all in large pastures.
iseabail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

If a horse is out on pasture and is never stalled, like a wild horse, the hooves may never need trimming. This is especially true if your horse has access to rocky, uneven surfaces that will keep her hooves ground down.
stanhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

My parents and I were givin some reg paint mares that where 17,19 and I believe 21 when we got them. There feet where never touched anything. & The farrier of the guy said they never needed to be. Some horses are like that...I wish my older mare was !!
imported_cleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

My Arabian doesn't need her feet trimmed either! Likely because they weren't ever done - she was ignored the first 10 years of her life, much like a mustang. Your mare does sound like a mustang tho usually they have a freeze brand on their necks... but perhaps she wasn't caught by the government.
beverleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:41 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

As in 4 years ago when she bought the horse it was 3. Come on ppl! But anyways i dont really know srry just had 2 comment. Interesting though!
howahkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I use to own a horse that like yours that didnt need her feet trimed and it is ovios that the horse was three when she got the horse
thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:25 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

yeah, ^^ how can you own a 3 yr old horse for 4 yrs? haha well, if your farrier says she's fine,. no worries. as long as she's healthy.
annawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:38 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Guys... She bought her when she was three, four years ago. She's seven now.

I've never heard of that, but you're lucky. Saves you $300 a year ; )
albion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:13 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

How have you owned a 3 year old filly for 4 years?
christianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:37 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

read the question properly people She Bought a 3 year old filly four years ago AKA she is now 7!

Hi there your so lucky save your self a small fortune there, you horse simply wears her feet down naturally (as they do in the wild)

She is free to roam as she pleases and not stabled (sorry uk talk lol) and in light work. Horses only began having shoes put on in the first place when the work that they would be doing would wear their hoofs quicker than they would grow ( I mean like back in the day when they were our only mode of transport) so in light work and in a dry climate is just enough to keep her hoofs naturally trimmed perfect !!

soo lucky xxxxx
rosswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:31 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

If she is always pastures and the terrain is rough enough for her to keep them "trimmed" herself then I guess I can see it happening. Some horses do have tougher feet than others. I have an 18 year old mare who I get trimmed about twice a year because she doesnt grow out or chip, and it looks as if my yearling will be the same way. He has only been done twice thus far.
Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:25 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Well think about this... Horses in the wild don't have a farrier come trim their hooves every 6 weeks, but they aren't always tripping over their toes either. In the wild horses hooves are naturally worn down from the ground the walk on and the rocks they encounter. If your horse is a mustang, she may have some genes that help her hooves do this naturally. (or if she or her parents were wild, that would contribute too. Horses these days seem to have weaker hooves due to the amount of care they get. They just don't NEED strong hooves anymore.). It's amazing that her hooves have stayed perfect though. I would bet that she has strong hooves in her genes. Hooves made to stand up against really rocky terrain, etc, but in the pastures you have there is not much for her to chip her hard hooves on. You are so lucky to have a horse like this!!

I hope I helped!
raimondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:32 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

My horses have feet like this =] We do have them touched up every few months, but otherwise nothing! I felt bad because the farrier hadn't been out in A LONG time and so my dad called him and the farrier came and he's like "Wow... They just need a little rasp. Nothing major!" My horses are loose most of the time, they come when you whistle like huge galloping dogs. My arab hardly ever has her feet touched, my quarter horse has tender feet but keeps them pretty well trimmed down, and my quarb fillies feet are doing great!

Also look at your mares feet! It's said that horses with black feet, have much stronger feet that are less tender and are easier to take care of. This probably has all to do with the horses exposure to the tarraine though as people said above. Just like our feet, if we walk on gravel for a few months, at first it'll hurt like crazy, than we get callouses and can walk across it like we have on shoes. Same with horses I imagine!

My arab mare has 3 black feet and 1 white foot. Her feet barely need trimming, maybe once every serveral months. My quarter horse gelding has four white feet and one of them has a black stipe down the middle. His feet are more tender than my arab's who has black feet. Then their filly got my arabs feet 3 black and 1 white same as her mom and her feet are doing great! (I know geldings can't produce foals, we had him gelded after he and the mare bred though)

Anyways, take a peek at that. Are her feet black or white? I believe that a horse with black feet have more tough, less maintence feet than a horse with white feet. I've seen it!
wilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:24 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

It is because of her invironment. In a large pasture and being able to wear the hoofs down naturally. You stated that the ground is kind of dry and hard, then the hoofs are getting scrapped down. Also, I believe part of if could be mustang. Their hoofs are made for wear and tear. That is really cool though. My horse needs hers done every six months or they start cracking and chipping.
Jayar is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion