Should i buy this horse? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Should i buy this horse?

I wish i had more people to ask these questions to in person, but i don't, so just have to bombard you guys =) I also rate best answers as 5 star though, and give thumbs up ratings to everyone, so hopefully ya'll aren't annoyed with me yet.

I am really scared to buy another horse now, because i was duped into getting a horse before that was totally inappropriate for me, and i'm just trying to avoid that whole situation repeating itself. This one is particularly hard for me because i have that gut feeling - i think this horse is sooo beautiful, i love blood bay coloring and i love arabians, and she is pretty 'typey'... i feel like my emotions may be getting the best of me in this situation.

Some of you may remember that i looked at a roan mustang/draft X previously, that didn't neck rein so well and was very green, well i passed on taking him. My fiancee loved him, but we can't afford to take on an extra horse, and he just didn't appeal to me enough i guess. I just didn't get that gut feeling.

So now i am looking at this mare ;

She is 15 years old, and 15.2HH

1/2 Arabian, 1/2 Paint, blood bay showing some minor white coloring around the eyes and on her rump, as well as 1 white sock

She was a 13 year old girls 4H horse, her parents are getting a divorce and neither of them will pay for boarding, so she has to sell the horse to cover the boarding she owes from the last month which she couldn't pay. She wants 200$, and both of her parents want the horse gone ASAP because it's one of those messy breakup scenarios where each one expects the other to pay for it.

This horse has done barrel patterns, and pole weaving before she got her - while the girl has had her, she has done trail riding, endurance, and jumping, as well as some low level dressage. She's very, VERY trained. I am an intermediate rider and could easily handle something less trained, but i board at a place that has a 12 year old daughter, and their family would trade part board for some riding time for her, so this is kind of a perk, since she's a kid-safe horse. She can be ridden in any setup, western, english, she has even been ridden in a halter, as well as multiple different bits and a hackamore.

This horse does have kind of a swayback apparently, people said so when i did a conformation check. I didn't really notice it, i think some of those pictures are just how her stride is making her back look more curved inwards than it really is. She might still have a slight one.

She also had an injury when she was doing barrel patterns before the girl got her. The girl never found out what that injury WAS exactly, but she has been vet checked (they have paperwork), found to be perfectly sound as far as they could tell - but the girl said that she had noticed if you push her hard at tight turns, quickly, she gets a little stiff, and her rear legs scored a 2 on flexion tests according to her paperwork. Both front were a 0, both back were a 2. She doesn't show any signs of any stiffness in any other activities except hard turns, when she's being pressed for speed.

I'm 5'7, and 200 lbs with tack, if anyone cares to know. I'd want to be doing mostly trail riding, and a little low level dressage. I may want to go on an endurance trail ride that they have locally, which does last for 3 days, but does not consist of constant riding - there are cookouts, camping, all sorts of stuff that occurs on the way.

Here are the pictures of her, and my other thread -

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4184346AAPKxig

What do you think?
dichali is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Should i buy this horse?

I agree with what everyone else is saying - go for it!

The swayback isn't a big thing and can be corrected using proper saddle pads (you can see the sway by noticing how her back curves downward between her withers and her croup. Compare with this guy http://www.smokymountainparkarabians...horse_boss.jpg and notice how straight his back is)

Older horses, no matter how healthy they are, tend to score less than perfect on the flex test. It doesn't mean they are lame, just that they have older joints. And the pushing her hard at tight turns making her stiff could be an injury, or it could be a trianing issue.

She sounds perfect for you, and definately the right price. If it feels right, go for it!
cristobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Should i buy this horse?

Im say shes very healthy and good looking horse, ima say go for it. But lol owning a horse could cost you much as buying a used Ferrari
chaakmongwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Should i buy this horse?

she is very pretty and sounds great
howahkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Should i buy this horse?

The horse has a fantastic color LOL but i thought ( only if i want to pick a Horse) blue horse right?? But there isn't a Blue horse right?
LOL.. so you should defenitly buy the horse you are so luckY!!!!!!!
rodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Should i buy this horse?

Read your question here, its like you are trying to talk yourself out of the horse. I personally wouldn't get her...unless you are going to do some trail riding...I can see the sway back in the pictures...I would not use her for endurance.
imported_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Should i buy this horse?

shes so beautiful! i loooove the spots by her eyes. i would say go for this horse now. she seems perfect for you if the other horse didnt work out. being ridden as a 4h horse for a 13 year old this horse is probably very patient and calm (not always, but usually) and for what you'd be doing im sure this horse would be fantastic.she does have a bit of a sway back, but who cares? youre trail riding, not showing at the highest level, so it really doesnt matter. her sway back is hardly noticable anyway. she seems perfect for you, i dont see any reason not to get her!
birtingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Should i buy this horse?

Although horses are expensive, they pay it all back with the amount of love and dedication they give to you. Also, the horse sounds cute, pretty experienced, safe, nice, and healthy. This horse will also be cheap considering you will not need to buy too many extra supplies, that is because you already have them from your first horse. As for the slight injuries, this girl had the horse and seemed to have no problems. It is also great that the 12 year old girl that would part board with you, getting ready for your wedding and things will make it difficult for you to take equal undivided care for two horses, and it will save you money and time. This is because if she rides the horse 2 or 3 times a week this means you only have to ride it once or twice and really you just have to give it love. Ultimately, you are helping out the horse by bringing it to a safe home rather than allowing it to end up in a bad situation due to the family problems.
avsalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Should i buy this horse?

she sounds perfect for you =] those few little downpoints probably wouldn't make much of a difference to what you want to do with her, they'd just need monitering to make sure she doesn't become uncomfortable. Her age may cause these problems to become a little more noticable, but the reasonably light work you intend to do with her shouldnt cause a problem. Has she been vet checked by YOUR vet? If not, that would be a good idea.

good luck with her!!
wakiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:45 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Should i buy this horse?

There are a lot of good answers on here. Still, I'll put in my two cents. Sway backs are often characteristic of Arabians. It doesn't look too bad to me. The price is a steal, even in spite of her conditions. What you have in mind for her also sounds do-able. Like one other person said, having her checked out by YOUR vet may be a good idea and give you some more piece of mind. That 12 year old should be able to ride the horse also, maybe with a little guidance and supervision if her skill level doesn't quite reach that of the 13 year old.

Regardless of the sob story (so unfortunate, I hate parents like that), I think you really can't lose with this horse. I think you'll have a great time with her. If your personalities match well, go for it. I know I'm jealous of such a great steal! On the other hand, if your gut is just not feeling it, think on it for a while. Not too long, because I have a feeling that offer won't last long. Good luck.
auley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:41 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Should i buy this horse?

Sounds fab. With that injury i wouldnt worry about it too much, if the owner now is jumping her and such, and all she gets is a little stiff. then its not really making her unsound. Arabian x QH's are great.. (paint is a type of quarterhorse) there wonderful breeds and learn quickly. she sounds great and a nice age too. What i suggest about the sway back is check with a vet when you go out, and get him to check all over and if she does have a sway back then see if it effects her working and such... also ask the owners about it! but i love arabians, theyre spirited and catch on fast! have one myself. make sure you look at her feet too when you go and look, ask to lead her around, and just do an overall check.. NOT just from riding her in the saddle, see how well she is with groundwork too! with leading ect ect.
I think she sounds wonderful and with that price wow!
keep us up with the details!
goodluck! =) i wouldnt let this offer down.
email if you need any help with anything else, or just email me the updates!
Maichail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:08 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Should i buy this horse?

She sounds and looks amazing! Of coarse she a little older, she does looks a little worn down, but still very beautiful! I love her markings. I honestly think she is way, way worth more then $200! That price is a steal. She sounds great. If i were you, i would definitely buy her. As long as you have somewhere to board her, and know how to own a horse. I don't recommend taking her to endurance trail rides until you know she is absolutely ready though. Arabians are known for being flighty, learn what she is afraid of and how she acts on trails.
varney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:41 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Should i buy this horse?

She is absolutely beautiful for starters. Sounds like you did your research and really like this horse. Go for it. You have put a lot of thought into it. I think your idea of trail and low level dressage will be great for this older horse.
ramzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Should i buy this horse?

First of all I want to congratulate you. most of the people on here who say they are getting a horse have no idea what they are getting into and won't listen when anyone tries to tell them how hard it is. you are the exact opposite, and by doing this, you are ensuring the horses well being. congrats.

ok so yes, she does have a sway back and that honestly could be a slight problem with her age as she is getting more fragile as she is getting older. She is taller than the average arab (probably the paint in her) and that will help some, but you will need some kind of corrective tack, and probably a specially fitted saddle as she is not only a sway back, but part arab. Arabs as a rule are so hard to saddle fit they have their own saddles. I don't know where you can find them. If you are not riding her rigorously, I don't know how much of a problem it would be. I think if you have a good vet you should ask them all these questions and they can factor in all the details and their experience to give you the best answer.

hope this helps!
hobbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:17 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Should i buy this horse?

She does seem to have a bit of a sway back, some horses that will really bother them, but some they don't seem to care. As long as she doesn't have any back pain and she is healthy....i'd say go for it. If you feel right about her than get her. Don't try to talk your self out of her just because you had one bad experience. You do need to buy with your head.....but some of the best horses i have bought have been ones that i felt right about. If you go and look at the horse but don't feel anything for it than it is not a good buy, even if the horse is perfect in all other ways. This horse seems like she would be a good match for you. If you like her i would go ahead and buy her...i would but i have a thing about Arabs lol She looks like she's worth a lot more than 200, and if you can get her for that Go for it!!
Good luck!!!!! remember that horses are like friends, you have to get along with yourhorsee to be a good pair. If you and your horse don't trust each other, you and you horse won't ever be able to have fun.....if you would feel comfortable on this horse....get her and don't hesitate!!!!
Good luck hope i helped!!
auley is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion