Which is the better car for a teenager? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-12-2010, 04:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Which is the better car for a teenager?

I'm getting a first car, and I know that I'm fortunate and spoiled to get a nice car in the first place. I have to however, pay for gas, insurance, and maintenance/repairs. My job, however, would cover that with little to no problem.

And if you're concerned it has a bit too much power, don't be, since I'm learning on a 2002 Mercedes Benz ML 500, outputting 288 hp on a V8, so I think I could handle these cars.

But anyway, I'm stuck between getting these 2 cars:

2001 BMW 330ci:
http://tinyurl.com/29gazn

-OR-

2005 Ford Mustang GT:
http://tinyurl.com/2chkfc

People say BMWs have expensive repairs and maintenance, but they are well-built, reliable machines. To me, German engineering is where it's at.

Compared to the Ford, I don't think they're as reliable as the BMW, but parts/repairs woudl surely be cheaper.

It's a toss up, since the BMW seems like less would go wrong with it, but when it does, it's gonna cost me. And with the Ford, it's as if more will go wrong, but it costs less.
neville is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2010, 04:58 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

well it all depends on your style and taste, if you are a civilised person sure get a BMW but if you are rockstar than get the Mustang.

anyways getting back to my point as yous aid the BMW 330Ci is slower on top speed compared to the Mustang well the Mustang does 164 mph and the BMW 330Ci is Electronically Limited to a 155 mph but if you can pay for getting the limiter off tha BMW 330Ci than I am Pretty sure that it'll be faster at the Top End compared to the mustang bcause of the power to weight Ratio and Engine size aswell because you get alost the same Power to weight ratio from the BMW as you get from the Mustang the Difference is that theMustang has a 4.7 litre V8 and the BMW 330Ci has a 3.6 litre V6 yes the Mustang has more horses but for performance Power to weight Ratio is taken in to Consideration and the BMW is equal to the Mustang there ohh and if you have any Car Common Sense and Knowledge than you'll know that Eurropean and japanese Car's have always and I mean Always out handled American cars.

coming to other features of the car you shoud know that the BMW has a World Class and a very Shophisticated Interior and the only Gadget I can see in the Mustang are the Speedo light I mean there are more than 100 different Coloured light in the Speedo and Rev counter and you can change between them with the Touch of a button Which is Pretty Useless honestly, where as the BMW 330Ci has a Lot more than that.

The BMW will get better Economy coompare to the Mustang and the BMW feels more Connected to the road compared to the mustang which has suspension that can put you to sleep and than put you to Sleep again that is in your Coffin.

The BMW is way more Fun to Drive and the Engine Soundtrack is Real and is really Good where as the the Awsome sound from the Mustang isnt even real I cos the Exhaust's in the mustang are Active Exhaust that means the Sound of the mustang reving is fake and the Sound of an Inline 6 Cylinder (the BMW 330Ci has an v6) is really Brutual Compared to a V8 soundtrack.

when people look at the 330Ci they'll say that hmmmm nice car this person has a great taste but when people look at the mustang they'll say wellll thay wont say anything.

my Choice the BMW but it's up to you, I started my Driving in 1997 with a volvo but don't think it was an Ordinary volvo it was the 1997 Volvo 850 turbo and it was a Really nice and I choose that over a Ford Mustang because the 850 Turbo was the Second fastest Sports Sedan (the First was the M5) From 1995-1997 and when I sold that car it was alerady producing above 350 bhp and my was was Pretty Even to the Performance of a vette and Smoking amustang was a Piece of cake cos I had an aftermarket Turbo kit Installed to it because the Orignal kept Breaking down but I have to say it was Pretty unreliable to the Mustang but much Better looking than the Mustang and i bought that car for about $35,000 when the Mustang was a bit Cheaper that but I still think that the Mustang's Interior is not a nice Place to be comparing to any European Sports coupe for the Exact same Price.

Good Luck!!!

Linkin Soldier out!.
derik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:57 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly, Neither car is a good car for a first car, but please read on.

Im not trying to discourage you, because I myself am a teenager with a nice/fast car. I just want you to please listen, because ive lost 3 of my best friends to car accidents (they were 18).

What I would suggest, and If you present this to your parents right, they will agree, is to get a fast/nice car, under the premises that you will take a high speed drivers education course. Its only about 300 bucks for a 2 day course at a racetrack (plus gas and such to get there and back, etc). You can bring pretty much any car (ive seen rental cars out there a few times), and you get an instructor with you and they teach you car control and vision skills in a safe, controlled environment. Its really not that hard on your car (your first time out youll be very slow anyways, ive seen rental camrys take it without breaking a sweat), and will most likely save you money in the long run. Oh yeah, and its INCREDIBLY FUN!

Insurance companies give nice breaks to people who attend these type of courses, and they will GREATLY GREATLY GREATLY reduce your risk of being in an accident.

You may handle 300 hp in a very heavy SUV just fine, but when you get into a sporty car with 300 HP, things change a ton. Honstely, 300 hp is too much for a teen with no track track experience to handle. after a weekend, youll be an infinately better driver (the difference is REALLY REALLY incredible), and youll be fine out on the road. cars today are much more powerful than ones of the past, but drivers havent magically gotten better. 25-30 years ago, one of the fastest cars on the planet was the 300 horsepower 911 turbo , which was WAY ahead of its time. It was considered a complete handful to drive then, and pretty horribly fast. The GT mustang is 300 hp (granted its a much simpler car to drive).

That 300 or so bucks will probably save you from a few accidents, make your car far faster (by giving it a much more skilled driver), and give you a much bigger appreciation for how fast a car can be.

For that price though, You may want to look at Pontiac GTOs. They're better in pretty much every way than the mustangs (nicer interior, 100 more HP, better motor, more comfy, etc).

BMWs aren't indestructible like they used to be, but are still great cars. I would get a car still with some warranty life life on it if i could though.

Some other cars you should look at are Nissan 350Zs (NON 2003 models. 03s had a few problems), Miatas (one of the best cars ever), and Mitsubishi EVOs (NON MODIFIED! if its modded, stay away! it means its been driven very hard). The solstice/sky are great cars too.

If you have any questions, or want more info, Email me at Phanofmuzik@gmail.com. I know quite a silly amount about cars (and can relate to you, im only 19!). Im always happy to help people find the right car for THEM (not the one I want them to buy), and always happy to try to make the streets safer by promoting High speed vehicle safety courses.

Porsche club of america, the BMWCCA, and SCCA all run drivers ed events (I know they have some in Michigan somewhere). Check their websites for the regional directories.
azuriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2010, 05:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Forget both of them and get a sup'ed up Honda.
luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:53 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

they are both good.
korey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:02 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Def. the Ford Mustang. It is WAYYYY cheaper to maintain and really fun to drive!
trenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:03 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I would go with the Beamer. BMW's handle better than a Mustang, and are definitely more reliable. Besides, I think Mustangs are just plain overrated. I wouldn't buy one.
armond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:37 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Choose the car without the cell phone, loud stereo, text messaging, drink cups, and lead foot.

How much does it cost to repair a windshield, bumper, fenders, doors, and broken bones?

It sounds like you've already made up you mind and chose this board just to do a little bragging. Either one will kill you if you don't drive and act mature while behind the wheel.

I hope you make a wise choice and wiser decisions.
kippar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I would suggest a Toyota - a much better engineered automobile.
anselm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:06 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

go with the bmw, it's far more reliable than the ford mustang!
ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Get a Pontiac Solstice.They are cute little cars.I want my dad to get one.Or I can have one as my first car.
huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Any chance of you not getting a new car? Your insurance may be cheaper.

If you have to choose one, get the Beamer.
harailt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

well you think you like cars?....i like cars thanks for asking my sperm friend
lorren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

if you can afford it, get a volvo. they are the safest, and is durable, but i dont and i dont know what kind of gas it takes. bmw s are very nice,but not as safe and take premium gas.
the ford mustang 2008 (i know you put 2005) looks really nice, but i'm not sure about the gas mileage or safety rating.

good luck! and you have nice parent that let you pick your car.
evian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

As a Ford fan, this is hard to say, but the answer is the BMW on every point. Keep in mind that if you live in or near a larger city, you will have fewer issues finding a repair shop. If you don't, consider asking around to see if anyone in your town services them.
The 2005 Mustang would be tougher to handle and harder on fuel than the 2001 BMW.
kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

2005 Ford Mustang GT is better for a teenager because its better than the BMW.
trenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

i can see you being wrapped around a tree
roch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I would get the ford mustang. i have one and it works so well. i haven't needed to change anything since i purchased the car which was 2 years ago. i would prefer that one. i don't really know if bmw's are good cars. ford is more common and well-known...but a bmw is something just for show.......good luck and i hope i helped
merla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

The Mustang GT. It will be less to cover if it breaks down, it will cost much less than if the BMW did.
And to tell you the truth, the Mustang GT is very reliable. As a matter of fact, all of the Mustangs are reliable, unless you think you are in Grand Theft Auto. lol.
Plus, the mustang will get you more updated interior and a premium sound system.
May your choice be the best.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Mustangs are awful!!! Unless they are the 1950's ones. I guess do the other. Congrats on getting a new car though. That's exciting.
nayati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Terrible choices for a teen's first car...teens always drive recklessly when they first start out, and they think they're immortal and take suicidal risks, so IMO, your best bet for a car would be a Toyota Highlander or 4-Runner. You need a big heavy car, one that won't encourage speeding. A lawyer in L.A. bought his 16 yr old a Ferrari and after just a few weeks, he was driving with his friends in the car, speeding, flipped, and 4 teens were killed on impact.
Your parents need to use better judgment.
coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I would choose the BMW because fords get lots of problems so you will pay lots of money for repairs.
artzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

you lucky son of a b****
umm 2nd is the one I would choose
dichali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:13 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

This teenager better deserve it if she/hhe is 16 cause msot of the 16 years olds i know dont get a car. As much as they deserve it
imported_Diandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:52 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I would go for the BMW... Mustangs tend to have a lot of problems, and require a lot of maintainence.

And, dang, you are lucky! I would have loved to have gotten a nice fancy car when I was 16. I still drive a 1995 Chevy Lumina-- it was my first car and I'm still driving it now!
kele74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

i think you should get a 2005 Ford Mustan GT
woolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

gt
adir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

You should go with the bmw!!! point blank!!! This car is expensive to work on but will outlast any american made car and it's expensive too but it's well worth it because it is more safer and it is hand built to perfection where as ford mustang is put together by a machine assembly line.. also in five to ten years from now if you were to sell the bmw the value would not depreciate or go down as much as a mustang would , which proves which car is better....And this is coming from a chevy fan!!!! And yes the truth does hurt.LOL!!!
luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

go for the mustang g.t
bmw are notorious for head gasket going and can be very expensive to fix as have to use a b.m.w dealer as parts are from germany
whereas a mustang being a ford is easier to get parts for if need arises
templeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I would go with the 2001 BMW 330ci. I think it's the best for a teenager.
Conlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

get the mustang because after you wreck it .. it will be cheap to replace
talmadge80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion