Does anyone know what I can buy to stop the rear window in my convertible from leaking? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Does anyone know what I can buy to stop the rear window in my convertible from leaking?

When it rains the back of my convertible collects water. The bottom right of the window is separating from the convertible. The gap is only 2 inches of unsealed window. Is there any sealant I can apply to seal the rear window found on a 98 Ford mustang cobra convertible? Please no answers consisting of: taking it into a dealership or convertible shop. I just need the best or recommended sealant for the convertible found at any auto store. I asked a few auto part stores and received replies of no knowledge. Points to best answer with background or knowledge.
cranley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Does anyone know what I can buy to stop the rear window in my convertible from leaking?

Do you want it repaired correctly or just cobbled together? A shop can probably repair it for less than you think. It won't cost anything to get an estimate. Auto parts stores don't deal with things like this on a regular basis. That is why they don't know what to do.
milward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

If you don't want the correct answer such as take it to the dealer or a convertible shop why bother asking, you could at least get advice from them. The type of material you may find at an auto part store of Home Depot may not be flexible enough to fix the leak. You may also cause further problems by just doing a hack job on the top causing it to tear or even break the glass if you have a glass rear window. Once the vinyl is damaged on the top it is very hard to fix, maybe you should try a wrecking yard for a used top. Convertible tops for Mustangs are not that expensive so do it right the first time.
berwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

The only way to really do it right, and not have it look like a "hack job" is to remove the window and clean all the old sealant off, and then re-install the window with new sealant. If you don't want to do it the right way, you can try filling the gap with silicone sealant. It might last for a while, but I think it would start leaking again.
wylingford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Use any available commercial grade silicone. It will help hold the window in place and seal any water leaks.
keandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Just buy some insulation weatherseal from a hardware store and paint it the color of your car.
ashbbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The whole bottom of the rear window came apart from the top on my 86 gt. I was able to glue it back together using 3m p/n 08101, it is hard core epoxy. The liner between the backseat and the top isn't attached to the trunk (I'm pretty sure it hooks onto a channel) so I put my top down, cleaned the window area, mixed some epoxy, put it on the window and held the top to the glass with wide vise grips (be careful not to tighten too much). I let it set about 24 hours and its good as new. Take your time and try not to slop it on like I did (my top is black and the epoxy is grey, ha). Hope this helps.
wylingford is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion