i want to buy an 88 mustang 5.0 do these details make sence? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

i want to buy an 88 mustang 5.0 do these details make sence?

saw an 88 stang 5.0 for sale with a holley carb. motor has been honed and new pistons and rings. mileage unknown for sure.headers and magnaflow h pipe exhaust 2.5. rockers 1.7. new suspension, ball joint, torque box, square control arm, gas line and brake line and battery. 10 mm spark plug, wires electric fan. a new 3.73 gear in diff. i drove it and it seemed like the fastest thing in the world. he showed me some papers that stated (from dyno and track) 237 hp and 249 torque and 14 second 1/4 mile.that hp and tq doesent sound like much. do those numbers make sence for that kind of engine. i would like to know is this a fast mustang or a regular mustang. also this car used to be a 4 cylinder. everything was changed for the 5.0. brakes tranny ect. does this sound like a good deal for 4000$. canadian. or does this sound like a nightmare. i dont know much about mustangs and would appreciate your help. thanks
beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Steve i would like you to show me were you could get a 2000 cobra for 5k. That is complete bs. Anyway just search around, i would try looking at the 87-93 cause of it being Fuel injected were you dont have to use a choke for when its cold out.
makis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

There is no resale value here if you ever what to get your money back out of the car all of the part numbers need to match ie engine trans etc etc and no this car is a basic build up nothing special keep looking.
I had a LTD 67 with 390 in it and stock 350 hp fast as heck for a land yacht. Ford ended up putting this motor in there Trucks
imported_darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
bao
Registered Member
Regular

Absolutely not....You can get a 2000 Cobra for about a grand more and yes that is a nightmare..You could also get a Camaro. or Pontiac with a LS1 with 310plus hp for about 4000 grand...the car is 21 yrs old and has no wholesale value and very little retail..like $800...
bao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

if it is actually putting out 237hp and 249 ft lbs of torque then thats not too bad at the rear wheels 4000 woulndt be too horrible but you could probably talk him down closer to 3
fairlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

RUN!!!!!
hurste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

the stock 88 generation 302cu.in. was rated at 225hp, and thats a measurement at the crank, so with the modifications he has done getting the car to about 240 rwhp, which is real hp delivered to the wheels, measured by the dyno, is perhaps about right. the taller 3.73 gears in the rear end do not add power but of course they make the car quicker from the get go.
so to answer your question...is this a fast mustang, no.

if you are looking for a hobby and a project car and can do some of/most of your own wrenching and tuning depending on overall condition - then this foxbody might be ok to further enhance....but from the way your question is worded and the fact this is your 1st mustang, ownership of an old/highly modified profile might be problematic..
-holley carb does require specific tuning knowledge
-the engine he has swapped in seems to be same generation - based on the stats- and price seems high - cannot understand why the swap would not have entailed a later, more powerful shortblock. further enhancement to the existing engine he is running will certainly be expensive.

recommend - unless you want a foxbody as a project car - that you move into a later profile, with EFI....for $2000 -3000 more you will get the later profile, far better overall mustang, that will require far less maintenance, far less downtime, and be much better overall driving experience...even if you have to wait to get the extra $ together this will payoff in the long run.
here are a few canadian examples of what i am speaking of, since you are dealing on a C$ car.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/cto/907453045.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/cto/896297446.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/cto/869392407.html

here are serious foxbodies, that you can compare to the edition you are considering
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/cto/880961473.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/cto/903416767.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/cto/905661829.html

good luck 2004 cobra
raedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

That's a bit steep, I'd pass, motor unknown, a 4banger as stock did he change springs? You can get a nice GT for that kinda money and be sure what you have. and the 2000 cobra, Send me the number I want it.
imported_art is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion