Why do people dislike the 1976 cobra 2 mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Why do people dislike the 1976 cobra 2 mustang?

im getting one from my uncle soon its a little rusty and might need some work but im hearing that people hated the mustangs after 73 mostly because of the body and its smaller but i really love the style of the 76 cobra 2 i dont see why people hate it please explain
gruffudd91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Nowadays they are really cool and unique, especially the Cobra II's. But back in 1974 when they came out it was a huge transformation that most people couldn't adjust to. So most of the people that don't like them are Mustang fans that were around in 1974 to see them change.

They also weren't that powerful. In 1976, the top engine was the 139 horsepower 302 2-barrel V8. But they are small cars and can be modified for more power. Just put on some headers, 2in dual exhaust, and a 600cfm 4-barrel carb and you'll be in the area of 190 horsepower.
thormond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

It was based off the Pinto, and the performance was a step down from the musclecar Mustangs from 1967-1972. But it was the right car for the times. The 1974 was Motor Trend's car of the year, and Ford sold almost 400,000 of them the first year. Think about that, if Ford sold 400,000 Mustangs today they'd be jumping for joy!
If nothing else, the Mustang II kept the Mustang name alive during a very tough time; the 1970's fuel crisis. Because it was smaller and got better fuel economy. I personally think a nicely restored Mustang II looks pretty cool. And just watch, in the near future Ford will probably have to shrink the next Mustang down in size to meet the 35.5 miles per gallon fuel economy standard coming up in 2016.
bizahalani is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Anything built in the US after 1970 gets a lot of scrutiny because of lowered horsepower ratings, increased use of flimsy materials, and questionable workmanship standards (compared to the same cars 5 years earlier). All that aside, there were still some interesting cars built in the mid 70's that I think will get attention over time. You are already seeing the AMC Pacer, Gremlin, and Matador getting attention. Your Cobra2 is one in that club also. There is only one thing that adds to the appeal of the cars I have listed. They all need to be a special edition model. If it is a regular production car, then it will not generate the interest.

In time you will get the last laugh. Your Mustang has features that make it stand out from the run of the mill Mustang II as far as trim and other options. But best of all, if you manage to keep your car as close to factory original as possible, you will have what is called a special interest car.

While everyone else is over restoring or counterfeiting 60's Mustangs, you will have a truly rare car over time, and that in and of itself wil give it value among serious collector circles down the road.
But that is provided that you keep it in original shape. The minute you start cutting holes in hoods and welding tubs in the rear, all bets are off.
baldrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

This is a joke, right?

This model 'Mustang' (ugh -- I can't even say it..) was based on the lowly Ford Pinto chassis -- ill handling, heavy, weak, rusty and slow as a chess tournament. On top of all that they were constructed of inferior materials and simply slapped together at the factory. The result was a bloated, slow, ugly pig of an automobile that represents the absolute BOTTOM of domestic car design and construction during the dark and evil '70's. If you drive this clunker to a car show you will likely be laughed off of the field. I would rather drive an AMC Pacer with a unicorn decal in the back window than be seen standing next to a Mustang II.

Ugh.... dude, toss some gas on it and burn it to the ground -- we're begging you....
sydeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

no offense to you but i hate the cobra 2 i believe the old mustangs died in 70 and came back in 99 that's me i don't like it because it looks like a pinto little gas saver but the only thing good was it kept a performance platform say if it wasn't because of the cobra 2 their wouldn't be a shelby today and probably no mustang at all
gilmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

True Mustang fans didn't accept this car back then for all the reasons listed by the other answers..Nowadays it is more accepted as part of the history of the Mustang, I would certainly want to bring up the horsepower of that thing...FYI---They used in blue stripe on white one in Charlies Angels
Maichail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

That's not totally true, evidently lots of people like them because they were a huge sales success.. they were a car for the times, when we had our first gas crisis.. they still have a huge following and because of their uniqueness they can still be found as a bargain..
brant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

POS....it was a cheaply built car on the pinto platform. Rusted out quickly too. They ran poorly. Ford dropped the ball on this car in these bad years.
tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

skinny wheels, weak *** engines, over board on fins, decals ect.
hassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion