Best advice to buying a USED 2005-2009 FORD MUSTANG -- ANY FORD EMPLOYEE'S?--? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-14-2010, 12:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Best advice to buying a USED 2005-2009 FORD MUSTANG -- ANY FORD EMPLOYEE'S?--?

plain and simple i'm bout to buy this mustang and i heard about there "common problems" etc flooded, gas tank etc.. just need excellent advice on choosing the right one.sTEPS TO BUYING A GOOD MUSTANG? ANY FORD EMPLOYEE'S
pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2010, 12:49 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

the Mustangs do have a lot of problems,,,but the main thing when buying a used one is to be sure the motor is in good shape,,,most of the time the biggst problems with used mustangs is that they have been hot rodded around so much the motor is worn out....
In june of this year a young woman brought a 2005 mustang to our shop she had purchased in January 2009,,so she could tag and drive it after her graduation..
She wanted the oil changed and 4 new tires put on.....
When we change oil we use a 3 gallon catch pan for the oil,then we check it and dump it into the storage barrel.
When we removed the oil plug we noticed it had a magnet on it,,which is used to collect metal particles and keep them from damaging the engine,,,after the oil drained ((which was very black))we removed the pan and the oil looked like a marble cake mix with streaks of silver and gold flowing all through it..
We showed it to the woman and her father they both asked what it was,they were upset to hear that the silver colors were from the CAM bearings,and the gold colors were from the brass bearings of the Crank shaft....
They however were not convinced I was telling them truth,so they got the oil changed and tires done and said they would take the car to the dealership...they came back the following week and asked if we could just change the Cam and Main bearings... becuase the dealership wanted $3500 and if they didnt get new rings,rods,pistons,cam shaft and have the crank shaft serviced they would not garuntee that the new bearings on the cam/crank would fix the problem...
They ended up getting a used motor from a slavage yard that was in much better shape for $2800 with labor they still paid $3400 for the whole deal,on top of the $12k they paid for the car...

so beware of the nice looking mustangs,,most of them have been run into the ground even with low miles..
cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:43 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The best advice from a Ford Technician at the Warren Stamping Plant in Michigan is not to buy one at all.
bishamon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2010, 03:04 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

buy an 04 mustang mach 1 or a cobra =D
christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:26 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

if you get one you should check carfax.com. my 2007 v6 mustang has a perfect crash test rating
imported_driscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well I have an 02 Mustang and its a V6 When I bought the car around 6 months ago. It was PERFECT... engine was cleanest of em all. But I ruined my car by hydro locking it. so I had to get a new engine becuause when the car finally started it cracked pistons and bent rods.. and all the mechanics say U need a new engine so I bought one... when they took apart my engine it was the same color of the synthetic oil put in 2500 miles before.. they said it was the cleanest engine theyve ever seen. Sometimes your getting a bargain! My engine was everything but ran into the ground!
ethan is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion