Is it possible to put a 4.6 mustang motor into a 1994 ford ranger.? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-15-2010, 05:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Is it possible to put a 4.6 mustang motor into a 1994 ford ranger.?

i could have all the parts for it because i would just by a mustang and give and take as needed. i have heard/seen that the 4.6 is a lot wider then the 5.0 thus would be a lot tighter of a fit. because of ththis doest force you to begin to go into the custom part side of life. i have heard/seen that you need custom steering and headers. this could be a major problem because i don't really have that kind of room in my budget. some help would really acactuallyhange my life here. if i dont need the custom parts what could i do to get around the need of them. any ideas are good ones. unless they are retarded and make no sense thanks to any one .
fitzsimons85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 06:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

HI
here's a link to a Ranger site that has a wright up on V8 swaps into the Ranger's.. good read and it tell you every thing you well need for the swaps.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...nversions.html
I'm fixing to do a 302 swap into my 89 Ranger.
Good luck
tim
micheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:27 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

its not worth it, i would just buy an old f150 and drop the 5.0 in it some of the oleder ones come with them in it. and if you put an 8 in a ranger your gona have to swap the rear end out to the rangers there not stong enough. if your gona buy a stang spend the money on that. rangers suck *** any way. mopar or no car
Kristofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 06:50 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

It is possible to put just about any engine in a vehicle, but it requires more money and parts and work than you seem to be willing to put out. I don't believe it would be an "easy swap" if that is what you actually mean...
Bearach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:29 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

It'll take work.

If you had a 98-later Ranger, the suspension would accommodate the engine much better.

A 351w could be done on a smaller budget.
Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:08 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

You're going to be in for some fun. You've should have just enough room in there to fit (i'm assuming SOHC as 26 inches) , but I believe you'll have to cut back the steering column and depending on how you've got it set up may need to change out the exhaust manifolds (though it sounds like you're going with headers, so those should squeeze things in a bit assuming it's fairly short, probably better of going with something from the mid-70's).

You'll find you're using mostly parts from your donor car, I don't think you'll need to do completely custom parts, but you may find some strange bedfellows in your parts, I put a SB 350 from the 70's into a 57 Chevy at one point and found I was using all sorts of parts, from 4 decades and 3 manufacturers.

Lastly, expect this to take you somewhere between 50-75 hours if you know what you're doing. If this is your first engine swap be prepared to double that, so realize it's not a one-weekend project.

Forgot one thing - Different engine means different stress points as well - you'll want to read up on that and make sure you get good engine mounts, with the extra power expect to replace the drive train, or at the very least the transfer case (probably going to do with a dana 20?)
adom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:58 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

You probably can install that engine but I would think twice before attempting. The engine compartment of the ranger is smaller than the mustangs and would make it a nightmare to service. It would take a lot of modification and money. You would probably have to replace the entire drive train as I don't believe the stock drive train would handle the added power of a 4.6. You did not list what engine it is currently equipped with. I do believe that the 94 comes with the option of the 4.7/289, and the 5.8/351 which I think would have to be a windsor. But the vehicle is manufactured to accept that specific engine with improved drive train among other things. So modification would be necessary. I am sure that the 4.7/289 option is a nightmare to service as well.

Any way, here is a link of parts for the optional engines that may help you decide, http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...earchType=Make You can narrow it down with what ever engine you like. If you decide on a V-8 you will need block hugger headers.
artzai is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > General Mustang Discussion